1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Ungrade to XP.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by angelface5, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelface5

angelface5 Thread Starter

I have an E machine,800mhz Celeron,64mb RAM, 20GB HD. I did have Win ME and upgraded to XP.
    Now it is very slow. It boots up slow, opens programs slow, and shuts down slow.Anybody have any idea why? I love the XP buthate having to wait for everything. Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need an absolute minimum of 128mb of RAM, and you really need at least 256mb for good performance with XP. I'm somewhat surprised it even runs with 64mb!

3. Idyllwild

Idyllwild

Did you do a clean install of XP, or load it on top of Me? XP runs much better if you do a clean install. I'd consider doing that if you didn't already. Definitely upgrade your memory as suggested. 128 is minimum, but I'd suggest 512.

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

I agree.....problem is you dont have enough memory. 256 is the minimum I would run xp on, 512 makes it much happier.

5. angelface5

Thanks guys. The memory is what I kinda thought the problem was. Yes I made a clean install. I will upgrade A.S.A.P. Thanks again.:D :)

6. angelface5

Upgraded to 256mb. Very fast now. Thank you again. Only other problem I am having is sometimes when I am on the internet and I go to the next page or go back Ihave to refresh alot.Sometimes it will not refresh and says error input.Any ideas?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117354

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice