1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with uninstalling programs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steve102, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve102

steve102 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have windows xp home edition on a hp pavilon pc. When i uninstall somthing, somtimes it stops responding near the end and then i have to end task. When i do that it has uninstalled the program but has left the icon in the "install/uninstall programs". There is no way i can get rid of it.if i click uninstall it just says "the installation is missing the file instops.dat. setup will now exit. This has recently happened to my norton antivirus. I tried to uninstall norton antivirus 2004 so i could install norton 360. But it froze at the end of the installaton, so i had to end task. Now the icon is permanantly stuck in the "install/uninstall programs". So norton 360 thinks the program is still installed and i cant install this new anti virus. Because of this my computer is unprotected.:eek: Can you please help me resolve this problem?

2. DataBase

DataBase

im not sure why this is happening, but what you can do is reinstall the software that has become corrupted and uninstall it again, this way the uninstaller and the required files will be present again and you should be able to uninstall.

To remove norton you need to use their removal tool which you candownload from their website
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

to be honest i would not recommend using Norton, suits are never a good idea as they are resource hungry and if one part of the program crashes say the anti virus, then everything else will crash with it ie the firewall.

here are my recommendations,

Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro (Have to buy it) or
    comodo 3.0 (free)

Anti virus: AVG 7.5 (free)

Both are excellent even tho comodo is free it beats many of the firewalls in leak tests

heres an old review on firewalls
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Let us know if you need more help.

3. steve102

steve102 Thread Starter

i have already tried this but it just creates a new icon and leaves the old one there

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Download >perfect uninstaller< it worked for me on a program, reply back

5. steve102

steve102 Thread Starter

it will make no diffrence, the uninstall program cannot find the uninstall files because they have already been uninstalled. but yet it still leaves the icon. The only part of the program left i the icon, but i cant get rid of it.

6. frankjohn

frankjohn

Have you Tried going in to search - all files & folders - type in file or program and if it comes up right click to delete. Also try in safe mode

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice