1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems With Updating And Servicing A Windows XP Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flavallee, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    I went to an elderly couple's home yesterday to work on their eMachines T2958 desktop which hadn't been serviced and updated in 14 months. It has XP Home SP3 and IE8 and Firefox 3.6.13.

I updated their programs from a CD-R that I had brought with me. I uninstalled AVG Free 9 and then installed Microsoft Security Essentials to replace it. I also installed the current versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware to replace the very outdated versions. There were several XP updates that hadn't been installed.

Here is where I ran into a problem. Although I was able to get on-line and load webpages with IE8 and Firefox, I was unable to get the Windows Updates site to load. I was also unable to get MSSE and MBAM and SAS to update because of an alleged connection problem.

I've never run into this situation before and am stumped, so I've decided to ask for help here.

------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

If I understand correctly, you cannot connect to any website?

Did you run the AVG Remover? AVG is a bit like Norton when not properly uninstalled... ;)

EDIT: OK, I see you did connect to other websites.

In that case, you may have malware, like a DNS hijacker. Care to post a HijackThis log?

3. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I didn't have the AVG removal tool in the CD-R, so I uninstalled AVG9 the usual way. When I went to manually delete the leftover files and registry entries for AVG9, I discovered a lot of "debris" from AVG7 and AVG8.

www.msn.com is their homepage and will load okay, but I can't get the Windows Updates site to load via its entry in the Start menu or via Tools - Windows Updates in IE8.

When I try to update the definition files for MSSE and MBAM and SAS, the scan fails because they say there's a connection problem.

This computer has been used by this couple for several years and is loaded with file and registry "debris" from former programs. It really needs a format and clean install of XP, but they won't let me do that.

I don't know when I'll be back at their home, so there's no way to submit a HiJackThis log now.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Phantom010

If you ever do get back, look at the O17 entries, if any. Copy the IP addresses and paste them HERE. Click "Lookup IP Address". If the ISP is Promnet Ltd. from Ukraine, it's most definitely a DNS Hijacker infection. That would block Windows Update among other things.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I appreciate your input. I'll get back to you after I get my hands on that computer again. They're a busy elderly couple, so it may be a few weeks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Phantom010

No problem. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice