1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with USB port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by McAdam42, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. McAdam42

McAdam42 Thread Starter

hi there, first post.

I hope my system specs show up in my sig or something... just incase tho...

I have a lanparty NF4 motherboard with 2gb ram, 300gb HD pioneer multi player dvd r/rw and about 1000 usb ports! well not really, but a lot. of them, nvidia graphics card with 256mb of ram, blah blah blah.... running windows XP media center edition 2005. (I traded an Xbox 360 core for this beast in january!!!)

anyway, my problem is this.... I have a card reader (I.connect USB multicard reader/writer) that I use to transfer programs to and from MMC cards for use in my Ngage (yeah, I know Im one of 5 people that actually have one) ANYWAY.. the card reader works just fine with my 128mb card, but does not work so well with my 2gb card. when I put my 2gb card in it hangs anytime I want to transfer a file. It will put the icon on the drive, but it says 0kb.

now here is the weird part... I have an old dell lattitude laptop (PII 266mghz) with a single usb 1.1 port. the 2gb works like a charm on that old crappy computer.

why wont it work on my super machine?

2. onsite

onsite

I also have BLAH BLAH BLAH , although mine is ver 2.2:)
    you have usb ver2 , right ?
    and xp with service pack 2 ?
    did it ever read the 2 gig card right ?
    ..or has it always been like that ?
    how old is the card reader ?
    look at both the 128m and 2 gig. Does the 2gig say anything like high speed or ultra and the 128 does not. ?

3. McAdam42

McAdam42 Thread Starter

Im pretty sure I have USB ver2, not 100% tho, where do I look?

Dont know if SP2 is installed. kind of always assumed so since the guy I got it from was a hardcore gamer/computer guy. It never read teh 2gb card right. the 128mb car is a RS/MMC, (nothing special just smaller than a regular MMC) and the 2gb is a Kingston 2gb MMC +.

I just bought the card reader in May? I think it was... it was a frys electronics special, so I guess its possible that it could be the card reader (paid a whopping $5.99 fotr it) but as I said it works flawlessly on my laptop.

I know enough about computers to get myself in trouble.

4. McAdam42

McAdam42 Thread Starter

oh yeah one other detail. If I let it go when Im trying to put files on the 2gb card, it will hang for a few minutes before telling me it is unable to transfer the file because the "file path is too deep" whatever that means. Again, this is only on the 2gb card. works fine on the 128mb card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice