1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved problems with video signal from desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 493Hunter, Oct 3, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Ok this is what happened, my cat jumped off my desktop which sits on the floor and rocked it about an 1/2
    inch. Now I don't get a video signal to my monitor using VGA or HDMI,but when I connect a HDMI cable from my laptop everything is fine. I even went to Bestbuy and the clerk hooked it up to monitor there and it worked. He suggested I buy a new cord (which I did) but no luck. The monitor I'm using is ASUS VG248.
    PLEASE HELP

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Open the Desktop's case and check all the connections are good.
    If you have a Graphics card make sure it is fully into the socket on the motherboard.

Was the PC on when the cat jumped of it ?

3. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Thanks but I have done that and yes the computer was on. Checked all the connections and made sure the card was seated. What gets me is when I brought it to Bestbuy and they hooked it up to one of their monitors it worked.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Just checking to see if I understand the situation completely.
    Is the model VG248QE? I see lots of hits for that model and the mention of display port.
    1. The monitor works when hooked up to a laptop.
    2. The monitor does not work when hooked up to your desktop computer.
    3. The desktop computer shows video when hooked up to a monitor at Best Buy.

5. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Yes you are correct on all accounts

6. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Also I'm using a HDMI cable on my laptop but the HDMI cable didn't work for the desktop either.
    Bestbuy hooked it up with multiple connectors and they all worked

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'll have to think about this.

If it were me, I'd probably take the desktop, the cable you bought at BB and the monitor to show them it doesn't work.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you took it to best buy, did they use the same interface ie the same hdmi port on the card OR did they use a different method of connecting ie display port, dvi, etc?

Since the system has been moved more than once [cat and you taking it to bb] I would open the case and reseat everything; ie atx and aux pw connectors, ram, video card, etc.

9. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Yes that will happen on Tuesday and I saw the same geek squad person and told him I would bring in desktop,laptop,monitor and cables.

10. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Will try it

11. 493Hunter

493Hunter Thread Starter

Ok before I bring everything to BB, I thought I would take the advice from crjdriver and Managed and reset the video card plus use a new DVI cord and it worded. So I tried the old cord and it worked
    also. Thanks for the help guys.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are welcome.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice