1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Vista Event Viewer

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Eh?, Dec 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eh?

Eh? Thread Starter

Hi, I have a couple of questions that maybe one of you super tech gurus might know the answer to :D I am using Vista x64 Ultimate, and have pretty new system, 4 GB ram, q9450, GTX 260, etc.

Anyway, for the most part everything works great, but once in a great while I will get a system freeze and have to restart the comp. No big, I have used computers long enough to know that stuff just happens sometimes. It happens so very rarely that I am not worried about it really (like once every several months, if that). The thing I am worried about is the fact that I can never find any reason for these things in the new Vista Event Viewer.

It doesn’t seem to ever list any errors that correspond with the times of these occurrences. It just happened to me while I was playing a Wow and listening to Windows Media Player. It froze up and kept playing a loop of about 2 seconds of the music. I looked at the clock and could see that it had frozen at 1:19 AM, so I know exactly when this problem happened.

So I reboot and everything is fine, and open up Event Viewer. There isn’t a single entry in any of the logs in the Custom View, Windows Logs or Applications and Services’ folders that get anywhere close to 1:19 AM. The closest times I found was in the Custom Views>>> Administrative Events log:

!Error 12/4/2008 1:07:27 AM
    The program wmplayer.exe version 11.0.6001.7000 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Problem Reports and Solutions control panel. Process ID: 1384 Start Time: 01c955ef369021d0 Termination Time: 7

I remember when this happened. The player became non-responsive and I closed the program and re-started it.

Before that at 1:03 there was (same log):

TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

(side note: I have gotten a few of these now and then… anyone know what they are by chance?)

Back when I had XP, I could always find any problem that happened in Event Viewer right away, but with this new Vista Event Viewer I can hardly ever find problems that just happened. It is like it just doesn’t list SOME problems for some reason. Am I missing something or am I not using the Viewer correctly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

It sounds like you have the event viewer filtered and are only showing warnings or events but not errors.

You can find a pretty good overview of the vista event viewer here

3. Eh?

Eh? Thread Starter

Hi, yeah I thought of that first thing. It does show errors though, just not any at that time. I have, right now for instance, 14 critical total, but those are more than 14 days old. In the last 24 hours, there has been 128 errors (this is the next day form the original post). These errors are stuff like:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

*and*

Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

*and*

The atksgt service failed to start due to the following error:
    Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source.

I have no idea what these are, but they don't seem to affect anything that I do on my comp that I can tell and they seem to happen every day when I first start up for the most part. But there sure isn't any reference to that error at 1:19, unless it is somewhere weird that I am not looking.

I haven't set the Event Viewer to filter out anything that I know of. The description of the default Administrative Events filter that I have is: Critical, Error and Warning events from all administrative logs. Should I change any of the settings or anything?

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

System freezes are usually related to hardware, and sometimes driver conflict, which don't always get logged in EV because the system freezes before it detect and record a problem.

Use msconfig to disable start up items one at a time, use the system each time to see if the freeze contines, it can take some time to diagnose this way, but may be the only choice.
    If msconfig does not give results, start removing any software you installed, then move to drivers, you can usually find the culprit if it is a software/driver conflict.

The only other suggestion is to run this memory test utility to see if you have a bad memory module.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp burn the iso and boot from the CD.

5. Eh?

Eh? Thread Starter

I had never considered that the system freeze might prevent things form logging in the viewer. Makes perfect sense in retrospect :)

I will take the steps you have suggested when it freezes again. Thank you very much for your help, it is very much appreciated :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/775887

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice