Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problems with Vista (Superfetch?)

7K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  Lanoaks 
#1 ·
In the last month I have encountered various problems with Vista.

The first problem is that I get an error message saying ‘Superfetch has stopped working’, usually when I am using the internet (my browser is Firefox). When this happens the internet stops working.

The other is similar but with the words ‘Windows Explorer has stopped working’.

Please can somebody ITK advice me on what further info I need to provide in order for them to help me to rectify this issue?

Thanks in advance..

#2 ·
I have changed the current power plan from 'power save' to 'balance'.

I figured that if I am saving on performance this may have caused 'superfetch' to stop working.

I haven't had any problems since making this adjustment. Does anybody think this may have rectified this issue?

#7 ·
I’m not the most knowledgeable person with computers but I’m guessing from the lack of responses that this is quite a complex problem, something that most users haven’t experienced or have no knowledge of being able to rectify.

Considering this, is it easier just to send the laptop back to the manufacturers (Dell) as faulty?

#9 ·
I'd start by cleaning up your browser. It looks like you have Google and Yahoo toolbars running. Isee quite a few anti spyware programs running too.
I keep my power options on high performance. Makes a big difference in the speed.
With internet explorer open, in the top right corner click tools, then click manage addons. Uncheck the ones you may not need. Start with google or Yahoo, just leaving one. disable some of your antispyware, leaving just one running.
All you can do is basically trial and error until you find the combination of add-ons that is causing your problems, or what will work.
The quick way would be to click tools, go down to internet options, advanced and at the bottom you'll see the option to reset internet explorer. This will disable ALL the addons and you can start from scratch, adding things 1 at a time until you find the source of your problems.
Your browsing must be painfully slow, with the low power option and a multitude of addons fighting for control.
If you reset it and still have problems, we'll try something else.

#10 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Earlier on this afternoon I made the decision of backing-up all my important files and restoring my laptop to the condition in which I received it from the factory.

I’m not that computer minded but I’m guessing that the problems I have encountered are the result my own mistakes whereby some software/add-ons and other bits I have downloaded (which I use regularly on my PC using XP), are conflicting with Vista.

The problem is that my laptop is crashing with such regularity that it is difficult to decipher which program is causing it.

Logically I thought I might as well restore the laptop and add the programs one-by-one over the coming weeks so I can monitor how my laptop is coping.

I will continue to update this thread regarding my progress so as anybody who is encountering similar problems can reference it.

#14 ·
Thank You.

I followed those instructions and the update was downloaded successfully.

When I restarted Windows Vista, immediately after logging in to my account, I got a blue screen, an error message saying something about MEMORY (I can’t give anymore information by the times I’d got a pen and some paper to record the details of the message my laptop had ‘crashed’, and had restarted again.

I’m pretty much baffled as to what the problem can be now, I thought I’d try to tackle the problem logically but even in factory condition my laptop is encountering problems and crashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.