1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with wifi after Windows XP update?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gnarlynikki, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gnarlynikki

gnarlynikki Thread Starter

Aug 8, 2010
    Okay, Don't ask me how it happened cause I cannot tell you. One minute I am downloading music, and the next, I've got a frozen computer. I restart it and when it boots back up, when I should be entering my user name and pass word (not using the tradition welcome screen) It is a blue screen. SO, I think I've got the Blue Screen of Death and I run and get my dad's Window's XP upgrade disk home edition and I run it through and it comes back up with everything wiped out. And then when I try to connect to the internet to see if there is anyway that I can use my iPod to put those songs back on to iTunes, It doesn't show a network connections icon on the task pane. Then I look next to the power button and the wifi light is not on. So, I am thinking that it is a problem with a driver, problem is, I cannot access internet on it to download one. Am I totally screwed, or is there a simple solution? And if there is a simple solution, Please tell me step by step because I'm getting completely lost in these forums.

And yes, I have internal wireless in my laptop. It's never gave me any problems like this before. I've tried plugging in an Ethernet cord from my desktop to my laptop and it still says no internet connection.
    If this is already posted somewhere I am sorry, but PLEASE HELP ME!!
  2. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

Jan 23, 2003
    Are you talking about the Compaq in your computer specs? If so when you reinstalled windows XP you also needed to install all the drivers. Go to the HP website and download the drivers for your computer then copy them to a CD or DVD then install them. That may cure your Ethernet and Wifi problem.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972959