1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

problems with win xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by killerken, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. killerken

killerken Thread Starter

tough one to explain: freind of mine has asked me to retrive some personal files from his old computer (photos) he has been using this unit while he saved up the money to buy a new operating system for his newer computer. problem is this computer has a illegal copy of xp pro on it and microsoft has installed a program which is constantly reminding us to go legit (no prob he is)

but in the meanwhile i cannot get any burning program to work Roxio keeps bring up errors during the burn process windows media player will only work in music burning format (no good for photos and files) and the computer will not allow me to install nero.

when the computer starts up he gets a error message stating (one of your discs needs to be cheaked for consistancy) and i have yet to duplicate the next part but his screen goes haywire and he can only start in safe mode (it works fine for me!!!)

Question goes as such are these problems related to microsoft and the illegal copy of xp??
    or do they sound like a virus? any ideas would help as my only other option is to link his harddrive to my computer and transfer the photos directly using my usb IDE dongle which could transfer the problem to my hard drive:confused:

2. kuipo

kuipo

As far as i know, microsoft won't do those things even if you have an illegal copy of windows, very probably it could be a virus, but i don't know, maybe if you posted a hijack this log could help? i don't know, and if you connect his hard drive to your's, actualize your antivirus and antispyware

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does the old computer have XP? If so, you don't have to use a CD burning program. Just 'drag and drop' or 'copy and paste' using Windows Explorer. Of course, if there is a problem with the disk drive, this won't work either.

Other options include a cross-over ethernet cable if both computers have ethernet ports. Or a USB flash drive.

4. killerken

killerken Thread Starter

computer has xp pro (cracked copy) softwear on computer (media player and roxio will nut burn cd/dv'ds computer will not allow me to install nero. Same problems i had on my computer before i bought a legit copy of windows xp (except i was having problems with the softwear and suspect cd/burners. i know how to transfer info from 1 computer to the other just worried this is not just a softwear issue but a virus . will be posting a hjt log shortly to see if a virus is found

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!