1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with WIN98 SE Defrag & Scandisk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by FordGuy057, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FordGuy057

FordGuy057 Thread Starter

I tried to run a Defrag on WIN98 Se about 2 weeks ago, and it wouldn't go past the "Checking Disk For Errors" stage. So after about 3 hours, I cancelled it and started a scandisk, which I only allowed to run for 2 hours :D since then I have tried to run both several times. The DOS version of Scandisk ran through after several tries, but the Windows version still wont go through. Also, the Defrag will now go to about 6%, but then it restarts and says something tried to access the disk. Anybody have any clues whats wrong?

2. FordGuy057

FordGuy057 Thread Starter

Another thing is, my computer runs really slow, if that helps any body. It is a Pentium II @ 266 mhz with 192 Mb of ram, but it runs like a 486 with 16 Mb of ram. LOL

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Run those in safe mode ;)

Part II ---- Scale down your startup items.

4. WestCan

WestCan

Yes FordGuy...AcaCandy is right..goto start/run/"msconfig" click on "startup" tab and see what you have "starting up" that may be causing a clog ...uncheck some items and try again.

5. Pumptech

Pumptech

6. lois1854

lois1854

I had the same problem. Control-Alt-Delete everything in the Close Program box one at a time except for "systray" and "Explorer" and then do your defrag. It works.

7. brindle

brindle

In my msconfig\startup all I have checked is systemtray.scanregistry, my anti-virus and firewall. Turn off your screensaver if your running one, do a disk clean-up before running scandisk then defrag. I use winme's defrag

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    FordGuy:

Click the link below and read my article on hard drive maintenance.

If you read some of the other articles there and make use of the information, I feel confident that your computer will run better and with more pep.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice