1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Windows 2000 Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MagicBass, Jan 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MagicBass

MagicBass Thread Starter

I have recently installed this OS on the PC I'm using right now, it used to have Win ME, which is probably by far the worst Windows that has ever existed.

The PC runs way better than it used to overall, but I do have one big **** of a problem: I recieve an error message that says "can't find the specified file" when I try to install a program.

Programs I've tried to install:

Adobe Reader
    Winzip
    W2KSP4 (service pak 4)
    Windows installer 3.1
    And a few more.

Basically anything that has to be extracted or self-extracts.

Could this be a problem with the temporary folder, or not enough RAM? (128 MB)

Also:

I have saved all this programs on the hard drive, I'm not running them from a network, the internet, or any other drive.

Keep in mind that I can't install winzip or winrar so I can't use them to fix any problems.

I've scanned the hard drive for errors (complete surface scan), ran virus and spyware checks... I have Spyware Doctor and AVG Free antivirus installed on my PC, I don't know if either could be interfering with my PC's performance.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

You could use more RAM. If your mobo supports it add a stick of 256.

Did you zero fill the hard drive before upgrading from ME or just format with the installation disk?

3. MagicBass

MagicBass Thread Starter

I want to spend as little money and take the least drastic steps possible. I have a lot of reasons for this, but let's just say that right now it isn't worth investing more moeny on this particular PC but it is worth fixing this problem because my mom will need it when I'm gone.

I only formatted with the installation disk. And I don't have the slightest clue of what it is to zero fill :(

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Unless you know the manufacturer of your hard drive go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

and download and install EVEREST. EVEREST will tell you the manufacturer of your hard drive. When you find the manufacturer of your hard drive, please post it.

5. MagicBass

MagicBass Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it's a Maxtor. I'll try installing EVEREST but there's a good chance I won't be able to lol

EDIT: Just as I thought, I couldn't install EVEREST. The message this time was:

Unable to execute file in the temporary directory. Setup aborted.
    Error 2: The system can't find the specified file.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

IF it is a MAXTOR follow these links;

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...oftware Downloads/All Downloads&downloadID=22

http://www.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/documentation/manuals/powermax_guide_en.pdf

Follow the instructions in the PDF Users Guide, download and run POWERMAX, do a FULL low level format and reinstall Windows.

About a third to half way through the Windows installation you will get a prompt to "Press Enter To Boot From The CD" at this prompt, DO NOT press enter just wait a few seconds and the computer will reboot itself.

Hopefully this will solve your problems. :)

7. MagicBass

MagicBass Thread Starter

Hey bro, I really appreciate your help. The problem is, I can't read PDF files either! Because I can't install Adobe Reader. lol

But I downloaded powermax and will see how can I take it from there.

I'll come back at you with results, unless you could think of any other ooptions. I've found that the common denomminators in all these error messages are "Error code 2" and "can't find specified file"

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

HERE ARE THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR POWERMAX

Available Tests:
    1. Installation Confirmation
    2. Basic Quick (90 Second) Test
    3. Advanced Test (Full Scan Test)
    4. Burn In Test
    5. Low Level Format (Quick)
    6. Low Level format (Full)

Installation Confirmation Test:
    In the “Select Test” window Highlight “Installation Confirmation” and press [Enter]. The “Test Status” window identifies each test and its results. Before and during the test, the “Current Drive” window displays information about the Maxtor drive selected for testing. If the drive passes the “Installation Confirmation” tests, a results window will display: Congratulations! Your Maxtor Hard drive is correctly installed. Press any key to continue. Press any key to return to the “Select Test” window.

Basic Quick (90 Second) Test:
    In the “Select Test” window highlight “Basic Quick (90 Second) Test” and press [Enter]. The “Test Status” window identifies the test and displays the results of each test. At the conclusion of the “Basic Quick (90 Second)Test” a window displays the test results. If the “Basic Quick (90 Second) Test” passes, a results window will display: Congratulations! Your drive has passed the Basic (Quick) Test. If you are still experiencing problems, please run the Advanced Test to re-certify your drive. Press any key to return to the “Select Test” window

Advanced Test (Full Scan Test):
    The Maxtor PowerMax Advanced test runs the basic 90 second quick test, then scans the entire drive (sector by sector) to find errors. This can be a long test (20 – 30 minutes) depending on drive capacity. Perform this test only if the drive has passed the first two tests but the drive is still not performing properly.
    In the “Select Test” window, highlight “Advanced Test (Full Scan Test)” and press [Enter].
    If the drive passes the “Advanced Test (Full scan Test)” a results window will display:
    Congratulations! Your drive is certified error free
    Press any key to continue and return to the PowerMax Main Menu.

Burn In Test:
    This test performs a full drive read sector by sector and allows numerous passes. This can be time consuming depending on how many cycles (20-30 minutes each) you choose. Perform this test only if the drive has passed the first three tests and the drive is still not performing correctly. In the “Select Test” window Highlight “Burn In Test” and press [Enter]. A window appears with a brief explanation. You must specify how many times to run the test. Example: “How Many passes (1-60) (hit ESC to Cancel)?” Enter the number of passes (1-60) and press [Enter]. Two to five passes is usually sufficient. If the “Burn In Test” completes without error, the program returns to the “Select Test” window. Near the bottom of the “Current Drive” screen a message will be displayed, Test Results: PASSED

Low Level Format, Quick or Full Test:
    !! Warning!! These tests are data destructive, all user information on the hard drive is removed. Maxtor recommends you backup all critical data and remove other hard drives before performing this test. Perform this test only if all other tests have passed (or by direction of Maxtor Technical Support) but the hard drive is still not performing correctly. The quick option is most useful for removing a computer virus, or you are rebuilding the information on your hard drive, and you need a quick erase of the operating system without taking the time involved to perform a full LLF. The quick LLF overwrites a pattern of zeros to the first 300 megabytes, and the last 100 megabytes of the drive. The full LLF overwrites a pattern of zeros to all sectors on the drive. High capacity hard drives take longer to complete. Allow sufficient time to complete the test. Several hours to overnight may be needed. A full Low Level Format remains the most effective test for a drive with intermittent problems.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

The Low Level Format mentioned above is the Zero Fill Utility. :)

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You might want to checkout this MSKB article

In addition I would make a slipstreamed install disk with sp4 already in the disk and do a clean install with that. You can slipstream from the cmd prompt or you can use one of the slipstreaming apps to make it easier. I have used nlite and found it to be a useful app.

11. MagicBass

MagicBass Thread Starter

Yipee!!!!

I think I fixed the problem.

I hadn't tried closing the AVG Anti-Virus before I tried installing any programs. (I had done that with Spyware doctor)

I'm installing Adobe Reader as I post this. I will post back with results and let you guys know if AVG Antivirus was the cause of ALL the errors.

I really appreciate the help guys, I'll keep the Powemax info. for future reference.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice