1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by alvester50, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alvester50

alvester50 Thread Starter

I had to reinstall windows 98. After doing this I was unable to install any programs, or connect to the internet. Can anyone help?
    Thanks,

2. angel

angel

Can you please provide a bit more information such as what happens when you try to install program or connect to the internet? Any message, any errors?

3. alvester50

All it says is that they can not install the program to this computer. The reason I had to reinstall windows 98 was because I had missing DLL files.

4. angel

angel

I think we may still need some additional information.

First, can I assume that you can boot into Windows 98 with no probs?
    Can I also assume you are having a problem installing ALL programs?
    Can you please provide us with an example of a program you are trying to install and include the "exact" error message you receive?

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When you reinstalled Windows, did you reinstall it in the C:\WINDOWS folder? If during the reinstall process, it selected C:\WINDOWS.000(or some other location) to install Windows in, you now have 2 Windows folders. I've seen this happen during a reinstall process, so I'm just checking to see if it might have happened to you.

As far as reinstalling Windows because certain DLL files were missing, there may have been a simpler solution than reinstalling Windows. DLL files normally go in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. It's just a matter of obtaining them and placing them there, then rebooting.

6. alvester50

everything seems to be working ok now.
    Thanks,

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219127

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice