1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Windows98 Troubleshooter

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mrw016, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrw016

mrw016 Thread Starter

Recently I noticed when I try to activate Windows98 Troubleshooter from the HELP menu, even though the main menu appears with all the topics, whenever I choose one (any one) no detail menu shows up on the right side of the screen from that point on ---- just a blank screen. Does anybody have any ideas as to what's happening?

2. seidnerm

seidnerm

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

mrw016, Here is a reply to the thread you were looking for.

4. rattles

rattles

Hi there, I have the same trouble that is explained about the different functions not working right in the trouble-shooter.
    But I am not sure exactly what is meant by "exporting" my registery keys and so on.
    I typed in the kb824145 in my find-files and folders. I found the file with the right date also. Is it possible for you to go step by step(like talking to a 3 yr. old) and tell me exactly what to do so that I can print it out and do it exactly?
    Hate to be a pain, but really want to learn.Can you use words like right click and delete and so on? Thanks, Carol

5. seidnerm

seidnerm

Rattles,

What version of Windows do you have?

6. rattles

rattles

I'm sorry-got carried away and forgot to say I have windows 98 on a HP 8550C comp.

7. seidnerm

seidnerm

Is it plain Windows 98 or Windows 98se? If you don't know, right-click on My Computer and then click on "Properties". This window will tell you exactly which version of windows you have.

8. rattles

rattles

98 second edition.

9. seidnerm

seidnerm

Because there is more than one reason your troubleshooters are not working, I want you to try this before we try the registry method.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:>Windows>Inf. Under the Inf directory, find the file called "tshoot.inf". Right-click on it and you should be presented with a menu of choices. Click on "Install". Restart you computer after the install finishes and see if the troubleshooters are still not working.

If they are not, then I will help you with the registry. ;)

10. rattles

rattles

Ok-be right back

11. rattles

rattles

Ok, I found it-but it asks me to insert my disc and I dont have one. It did not come with my computer. I got 2 discs, butnot the 98 cd. The first disc I have used before and it takes out some of my things-the second wipes my computer.

12. seidnerm

seidnerm

I'm surprised that the install didn't go right to your ".cab" files. Usually all the Windows setup files are placed in a subdirectory under the Windows directory when you are not given the install CD. In my case, they are in the C:\Windows\Options\Cabs directory. Usually, when a program asks for the Windows CD, it will give you the opportunity to specify a different location for the files.
    Go to Start>Find> Files or Folders and type "*.cab" in the "Named" window and make sure the "Look in" windows is set for the C: drive. This should help you find where the Windows installation files are stored (if they are there). If you find several files called "Win98 xx.cab" then you have the right directory.

Once you know where they are stored, you can try the "tshoot.inf" thing again unless it doesn't let you specify a directory for the files. Let me know what you find. If this won't work, we can always try the registry fix for the other problem.

13. rattles

rattles

I found the right place-but not one of them said info or tshoot.

14. seidnerm

seidnerm

I think you misunderstood me. You were not looking for info or tshoot. You were looking for the directory that contains the Window cab files.

Tell me exactly what you did and what you found.

15. rattles

rattles

I went to find and folders and typed in *.cab (in "c" and all folders.
    It brought up a whole list of the Windows cabs-a couple said something about 95 and then it had a lot of "Windows"(with numbers after it-and a lot of 4 digit numbers,then cab after that-)A lot of them said "tour" "help tab"-data tab-catalogue, base and driver tabs. Is that it?
    I MEAN CAB Instead of TAB.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice