1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Wirelss N

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kudoco, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kudoco

kudoco Thread Starter

I recently bought a dell inspiron 1525 with a Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN card running vista. My router is a Linksys WRT350N running WPA2 encryption. For some reason, when I transfer between the laptop and the desktop, the speed is capped at roughly 2.2-2.5 MB a sec, or, wireless g speeds. If I set the router to only accept wireless N connections, the laptop becomes unable to connect to the network anymore, which makes no sense, the wireless card is capable of wireless n.

I've tried resetting the router to its factory defaults, I even formatted the laptop and reinstalled the drivers, but no luck. I've updated the wireless card to the latest drivers. I flashed the router's firmware to the latest version. Still nothing. The laptop only connects at 54 mb/s (wireless g). Still unable to connect with the router set to accept wireless-n only. I have no other devices to test wireless-n with.

I wonder if this may have something to do with it. In the properties for the wireless card, 802.11n doesn't show up under wireless modes, however you can see the mentions of 802.11n at the top, and I have wireless-n set to enabled there, but still no luck. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That picture shows you have it set to 802.11a/b/g, and I don't see an 802.11n option in the list.

3. kudoco

kudoco Thread Starter

But you'll notice that it says 802.11n mode at the top, which is set to enabled.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do you have from Dell's web site the latest wireless adapter driver for your machine?

5. kudoco

kudoco Thread Starter

Yes, I've tried both the drivers from dell and from intel's website, no luck with either.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd say you may have to email or call Dell. With the latest driver from Dell and with 'n' mode enabled I can't think of any reason for not seeing any 'n' options for "wireless mode."

Just because of the strange things that happen I'd first restart, disable 'n' mode, restart again, enable 'n' mode, restart yet again, and look one more time at the list of "wireless mode" options. Probably a waste of time, but quicker than calling Dell.

7. JohnWill

It makes no sense to me that the 802.11n doesn't appear in the modes window if 802.11n is really available.

8. kudoco

kudoco Thread Starter

I've been looking into purchasing a linksys pcmcia card due to the possible compatibility issues with wireless-n. However during this, I installed SP1 for vista, and I appear to be able to connect at 130 Mb/sec, and am transferring files at roughly 7-9 megabytes/sec. I disconnected and reconnected to the network and it seems to be maintaining that speed. Hopefully it's not just a fluke and will continue to work. Thanks for the advice guys.

9. JohnWill

Strange...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703880

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice