1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Word and memory

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jakeypoo, Dec 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jakeypoo

jakeypoo Thread Starter

Hi there, recently I added a 128 meg sim chip of SDRAM to my Pavillion 7865 bringing it up to 256 megs of ram total. Now when I try running spellcheck in Microsoft word, or going to any options, it tells me that There is not enough memory or disk space to complete that operation (even though I have 70GB more of HD space). I have no idea how to fix it, but damn do I miss spellchecker. Please help. Thank you.

2. Gurnerworld

Gurnerworld

3. MichL81

MichL81

Increase your virtual memory.

To Turn On Virtual Memory
    Windows 95 or Windows 98
    Office programs require that virtual memory be turned on when you run them under Windows 95 or Windows 98. To turn on virtual memory, follow these steps:
    Right-click the My Computer icon on the desktop, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu.

Click the Performance tab.

Click Virtual Memory .

Click to select " Let Windows manage my virtual memory settings (recommended) ."

Click OK , and then click Close .

When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes .

4. MichL81

MichL81

5. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Let us know if these solutions don't work, Jake. There are others.

6. jakeypoo

jakeypoo Thread Starter

Pardon me for not mentioning that I have Windows ME, Word 97 (ya I know it's kind of ghetto), and my Virtual memory settings are managed by windows now. When I installed the ram chip, I did not adjust any settings whatsoever I just plugged it in, and noticed that it 'took'. Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

7. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Jake: I consider myself (and so do a few others) an expert with Microsoft Word. 97 is hardly "ghetto". If I had to pay for it, I wouldn't upgrade. 97 does most anything you can do in 2000 or XP. Stick with it for a while.

With Word closed, find and rename the normal.dot file(s) on your PC. Relaunch Word, see if it helps.

I've got an entire troubleshooting thing here for 97 and 2000. Just do a search on the words:

Troubleshooting Word

use the "in the Title" only.

8. jakeypoo

jakeypoo Thread Starter

Oh come on, Word 2000 has the cool kitty cat that makes all the difference from being ghetto.
    Anyway on a more serious note, I was confused what you meant by that last message. I should rename all my .doc files then restart? Unfortunately the option of reinstalling is out of the picture too because my cd is so scratched up these days that it will not read. I also cannot do other options in word such as the thesaurus, paragraph changes (such as double spacing and the like), and etc. Thank you for all of your help.

9. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Don't you dare rename all your files. :D

Word uses a file called normal.dot as its default template. When Word is first installed and you haven't run it yet, you won't find that file. It is created whenever Word can't find the existing file. The normal.dot template commonly goes bad. All you have to do for Word NOT to recognize the file and to have Word create a brand new, shiny clean one, is rename (or delete) the one that already exists. Many people have more than one on their PC, but in different directories. Rather than go through finding out which one Word is actually using, just rename or delete ALL files on your hard drive with the EXACT name of normal.dot (notice the T and not the C on the .DOT part).

Make sure Word is closed.
    Hit Start-Find-Files or folders.
    Type in normal.dot and hit enter.
    If you find any, just delete them.
    Now, relaunch Word, which might take a second or so longer to launch then usual because it has to create a new normal.dot file for you.
    Hopefully, you'll be all set.

10. jakeypoo

jakeypoo Thread Starter

YAY it worked. Thank you very much, it is truly greatly appreciated.

11. jakeypoo

jakeypoo Thread Starter

Well nevermind. That was shortlived. I deleted normal.dot, opened a file and immediately hit f7, it worked great. However, when I exited Word and re-entered it, yup same problem reappeared. Ok fine, I deleted normal.dot again, and now that problem is still around. I'm clueless (obviously) and now a little flustered that this problem is persisting and I can't put my finger on it.

12. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Okay, let's dot this then:

1. Delete normal.dot
    2. Hit Start-Run and type:

winword.exe /regserver

and hit Enter.

(that is a space before the slash)

Try Word again.

If that doesn't work, close Word. You need to find the folder called STARTUP. It'll be the one under the Office Folders. Remove (delete or move) anything that is in it. It could be loading when you run Word.

The folder location could be something like:

c:\program files\microsoft\office\startup

After that, try Word again.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60752

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice