1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Word on a newer computer.

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jenn31708, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jenn31708

jenn31708 Thread Starter

I've had my computer for almost a year now. I don't use Word all that much, but I have been able to use it in the past. Whenever I start it up, there's a box that comes up asking if I want to register it, and I always click no, and close it... going about whatever business I need to do on Word.

So I open it up to work on something for work, and that box comes up, and I just close it like always. But now, I am not able to do ANYTHING in Word. I can't type, copy/paste, edit an old document.

Does this have anything to do with the registration? It came already installed on this computer, so I don't have a product key. What do I do?

2. nintendo9231889

nintendo9231889

try using the magical jellybean keyfinder to get all your keys. Beyond that, call your manufacturer.

3. jenn31708

jenn31708 Thread Starter

the what? Sorry, it sounded like a joke! How do I?

4. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Sounds like it was a trial version.

Open Office is free and is very similar.
    http://www.openoffice.org/

You can download it and try using it to open the old word files.

If they are files you use on other PCs' as well, the files can be saved in MS format.

Edit: The product key usually comes in the PC box on a square piece of paper proclaiming "IMPORTANT. DO NOT DISCARD."

5. nintendo9231889

nintendo9231889

That seems really strange that your computer would come with trial software.

You can use this to find your keys, if there are any on your computer:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=magical+jellybean

If you want an online word processor, there's zoho writer and also google docs.
    I don't think either supports opening word 2007 files, though.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice