problems with word, please help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

buckeyegurl

Ok, I can't close a file. I click save, then I got to close and it asks me if i want to save when i've made no changes, I click yes just in case and it doesn't close. I also sent the file to another computer and it's not the current version, so I'm not sure what to do, because I'm afraid of losing it if I close it. Also I keep getting this error saying,

saving the AutoRecovery file is postponed for _____. Just like an hour ago, I repaired the program which fixed some other problems but not these.

I run into this problem before, you will need to reinstall windows and that should fixed the errors with word you are having.

buckeyegurl

trident75 said:
I run into this problem before, you will need to reinstall windows and that should fixed the errors with word you are having.
but how do i safly close that program without losing it, can I?

buckeyegurl

i can save it, but when i close it, it asks me to save it again, and then i hit save and it never closes it

This only happens with the one document? Others open, save and close correctly?

Instead of using 'Save', have you tried 'Save As'...giving it a different name (maybe use original file name and add the word copy)...then closing it and seeing if that will reopen and save without problems?

If that doesn't work, try Ctrl A to select everything in the problem doc, then Ctrl C to copy it, then open a new doc and Ctrl V to paste it...then try saving that document and seeing if it will close and open OK. You could also open a new notepad/wordpad document and Ctrl V to paste the copy - at least you'd save the text if not the formatting.

Sorry, but reinstalling Word or Windows is not the answer. If you are using a JumpDrive and pulled the drive from the USB port before you save this will cause the error or non-save functionality to occur.

Go to "Edit"
Select "Select All"
Select "Copy"
Open another blank page and paste it there. You may have to reformat the document, then press “save”.

Brandy

buckeyegurl

ok, here is the problem. the document is a project im doing for my class. it consists of milions of text boxes and lil lines cuz i had to do a timeline of my life, so selet all, only selects the word art and not ne of the text boxes. does neone have some other ideas?? i tried to save as a different docuemnt, but it still won't let me close it
and I can't it didn't rename it and I don't see it as the new name.

Anne Troy

Anne
Ewww...
The only thing I can suggest is to start copying the textboxes. Use the selector tool from the Drawing toolbar to grab them. Grab a whole page full of stuff at a time, and group it (again using the Drawing toolbar), then copy and move to another DOC.

Do the same with each page.

Using lots of drawing objects without grouping is a sure way for a doc to become corrupt.

buckeyegurl

how do i group them? and what does the selector tool look like?? is that just selecting them all one by one?

I don't want to interfere with anything Dreamboat says as she's the resident expert. But if you have the 'allow fast save' option selected you might try turning that off and trying to save again.

Also, you said you have text boxes, lines etc. Do you have any Microsoft Equation editor objects? Or any other linked objects?

These might be causing problems...try Ctl A to Select All, then press F9. The status bar at the bottom should tell you that fields are being updated...and if you get an error message then there could be a problem with one (or more) fields. If you know which field is causing the problem you could try unlinking it or deleting it and adding it again.

The selector tool is the outlined arrow/pointer on your drawing toolbar. Place it (say) top right of your page, then left click and drag to bottom left of your page. All the drawing objects will be selected. Release the left mouse button, position the selector tool over any of the selected objects then right click and choose Grouping then Group from the menu. You can then copy and paste the whole group.

buckeyegurl

ok, i did select all and that actually worked it just didnt' look like it did, i copied it into another document and now i can't save that one either :eek:(

im trying to get help from hp now, i don't think they can help me tho

If you still can't save it, it does suggest there's something wrong on the page. Did you try the suggestions in posts #7 and #12?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online