1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Orv Potts, Dec 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Orv Potts

Orv Potts Thread Starter

The computer is a Gateway running Windows ME. I am fairly new to computers.

While in Word, I receive the following error messages:
    (1) "WINWORD has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL. WINWORD will now close." This happens at least once, usually several times, when I try to save a document or file to disc. It also occurs less frequently while trying to save to "documents."

(2) "WINWORD has caused an error in WINWORD.EXE. WINWORD will now close." This happens from time to time as above. Once or twice both (1) and (2) occured at the same time.

(3) "The directory or file cannot be created." Occurs intermittently while trying to "send to" from documents to disc. It sometimes can be corrected by renaming the file.

(4) "[name of document].doc is locked for editing by 'another user.' Click 'notify' to open a read-only copy of the document and receive notification when the document is no longer in use." This happens occasionally when I try to close a file on a disc. Word then cannot be closed. The only way I have found to close is to reboot.

I have contacted Gateway and Microsoft about the above problems. Gateway says it's not their fault, Microsoft says it's a Gateway problem.

I have tried reinstalling Word, but no luck.

2. Paul Nagel

Paul Nagel

Check out this info i found on the MS web site. I dont know if it will help, but not being an expert on Office products and being as it is Christmas eve, i dont think many of our other contributors will likely be on board this evening. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q308511

3. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

This sounds more like a Word issue than a computer issue.
    Go into:
    Tools, Options
    Click on the "Save" tab and determine if anything is written into the File Sharing password boxes. If so, delete whatever is in there.
    Also uncheck the "Read Only" box if a check appears.
    Click on the "File Locations" and determine where it is that you are sending your files as default locations. The typical default for most documents should be C:\mydocuments.

Hope this is of assistance
    AW

4. Orv Potts

Orv Potts Thread Starter

Paul and Alan,

Thanks for replying to my posting. I will try both your suggestions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62828

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice