1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with XP, Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nickdawg, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

Hey all

I noticed this morning that my computer appears to be acting funny. I checked for viruses using Norton 2003, and trojans using both Trojan Hunter, and TDS-3, and I removed all spyware using Ad-Aware.

The problem is as follows:

Normally my computer starts fine, and my startup programs (Zonealarm and Norton 2003 Auto Protect) take 10-15 seconds to load.

Today, I noticed the computer took at least 1 minute to load the programs. The hard drive made the normal "grinding" noise it makes when it is being used, but in a series of small grinds, much like a clock ticking. Grind stop grind stop grind stop, etc. It did this for the full minutes at which point the programs loaded as usual.

So at first I thought nothing of this, and started to go online as usual (I have DSL) and I noticed I couldn't connect to any page. I got the "Windows could not find the search page" error, or the "pgae cannot be found" error.

I restarted, and the problem remained. I ran all the virus, trojan, and spyware scans mentioned above, and it remained as well. I also ran a scan of the disk using Norton Disk Doctor, and the problem remained.

I thought of doing a system restore, but I have the feature turned off, so I am out of luck. However, I seem to recall another way of restoring your system to a previous state. I could be wrong, but I could have sworn there was another way. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to know. I also tried running in safe mode, but I was unable to connect as well.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem may be? Should I go ahead and try the restore? Should I call my DSL provider and ask them why I can't connect? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. Dan O

Dan O

All the cleanup you did may have deleted a critical system file, which can be replace running SFC. Select Start, Run, and enter: SFC /SCANNOW (and hit Enter).

Boot and test.

If that does not work you may have to delete the Network connection using the Control Panel, reboot, and re-install it to pickup the missing file. If your DLS provider provided you instruction how to setup up your PC follow them. Good luck.

3. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

well it can't be the cleanup problem because it existed even before I cleaned up.

My DSL provider really didn't give me much info, I just got a CD and installed the software.

Do you have any idea how to do a system restore if I had system restore disabled?

4. Dan O

Dan O

Did you try the SFC?

A System Restore I don't think will help.

If you are running XP select Start, Connect to, and Show all Connects. Right click the LAN connection and select Repair.

If that does not fix the problem go to the Device Manager and delete NIC, reboot and Windows should reset it up.

5. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I will try the suggestions and get back to you, thanks alot.

6. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

I apologize for not replying to this thread sooner, I have been very busy.

Anyhow, the problem still exists. If I restart my computer, sometimes (rarely) it will fix it. Sometimes I have to restart 20 times in a row, seriously, to fix it. I can tell right away if the problem is happening because of the short grinding pauses by the hard drive.

Sometimes if I turn my computer off and leave it alone for an hour or two, when I come back the problem is gone. Sometimes when I come back, it's still there.

Like I said before, I basically wouldn't care that it takes 1-2 mins to boot up, but everytime I have the problem, I can't get connected to the internet. This is why I must restart it until I can.

Does anyone have any info on what is causing this? I have had my computer over two years now, and this problem just started about 2 weeks ago and has been bugging me off and on ever since.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It sounds like the hard drive is going bad, I think you may want to make sure you have backups! Time to start shopping for a new hard disk.

8. nickdawg

nickdawg Thread Starter

you think so? It's not even a year old, it's a Maxtor 40 gig 7200 rpm drive.

9. Dan O

Dan O

Try running Error-Checking and Defrag on the drive. Also download the hard drive test tool from Maxtor web site and run it.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, all of the disk drive manufacturers dropped their warranty period to one year, there has to be a reason. :D

11. Miz

Miz

In your first post you said, "...much like a clock ticking." That sound is the classic "the drive's going bad" sound. I recommend you back up your data as quickly as possible so if it is the drive, you'll at least have your data to put on a new drive.

Harddrives are just like any other intricate piece of machinery. Some last for what seems like forever, some don't work right out of the box and the rest fall somewhere in between. I've got drives still working after 5 years and yet have replaced some that were less than a year old.

12. dai

dai

press f8 during bootup this should bring up a list of startup options highlight last known good config and enter.i think this is what you are looking for.If this does'nt work,try an xp repair by booting from xp cd,choose install this will bring up the option to repair xp without loseing any of your files.do not choose the the first option to repair that comes up when you boot off the cd make sure you choose the repair option that comes up after you choose install.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice