1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems with XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zmaster, Sep 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zmaster

zmaster Thread Starter

Hi, I have recently installed windows xp on my computer. And i have had a fair amount of trouble with it. I am going to get SP2 tomorrow which i believe will get rid of the problem with the "LSA Shell (export version) has encountered a problem and needs to close...." i use the shutdown -a to avoid the shutdown.

The problem i do have at this stage is that after being connected to the net after a while my "turn off computer" function disappears from my start menu and becomes either inactive or uneffective from other locations, leaving me with only a log off option. Is this anything to do with my above problem of the LSA shell? Will SP2 resolve this?

i have downloaded hijackthis and i have a log file which i can post and i have a .jpg of the processes running in my windows task manager if this is any help. I've had a look on the net to see if a similar problem has occurred with anyone else without any success. If someone has posted a similar problem in the forums could you please put a link to it? I haven't had enough time to look through all the forums

2. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Hi Zmaster http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 Before downloading SP2 follow this link . It is a list of programs that can conflict with SP2 and cause problems for you . If you have anything on your computer from the list look for an update for it . Many have had problems with SP2 and others have had no trouble installing it . I would use caution here and visit this forum as well as others where SP2 is being discussed and form your own opinion on wether to install at this time or not . Good Luck

3. zmaster

zmaster Thread Starter

Thanks for the link Dust Sailor. I came across that exact webpage last night actually. And i didn't install zone alarm in future preparation for SP2. Which leaves me with searching for a useful and hassle free alternative to stopping block ups. My problem still remains with my "turn off computer" function disappearing.

4. zmaster

zmaster Thread Starter

Just thought i would give this an update. I installed SP2 (266mb) And it has cleared up all my problems. Now alls i have to do is use my computer and find the little problems with sp2 (if any) :p. Thanks for all your help Dust Sailor

5. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Your Most Welcome Hope it allworks well (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice