Problems writing data under windows 7 Pro 32bit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

phil4v19

HI
I install Windows 7 Pro 32bit a few months ago on my new computer which also has a new SATA drive I I am experiencing weird problems with the following programs either not writing data or lossing it

Excel 2000 - more than occasionally not saving correctly
Turbo lister2 (ebay software) - some newly created items mysteriously dissappearing
Planner program (effexis planner) - data file for some reason suddenly changed to an excel icon and therefore I could not read it until I realised and changed it back

In case you're wondering if its the drive - I using a brand new hard drive Maxtor SATA2 and my device driver is not showing any problems

I dont think it can be a privileges problem either as I have only one account set up which is the admin account

I am starting to think there is some bug in Windows 7. Have you encountered anything similiar before and any idea if theres a patch

Thanks
Phil

jiml8

Possible problems that would account for your symptoms include corrupted filesystem, power problems with hard drive, or failing hard drive. Power problems with hard drive could cause corrupted filesystem, but many other things could as well.

Start by running chkdsk. Beyond that, what is the make and model of your system, and what power supply (make, model, wattage) does it have? Have you ensured that the power cable is fully connected? What happens if you change to another power cable? What are the voltages (particularly the 12 V line) that are being delivered? You might download and install hwmonitor to obtain some of this information, though most of it is also available in the BIOS.

Power problems could also be noise/ripple on the power lines to levels that are well out of specification. It is also possible, though not common, that a bad ground either in your system or in your house could be causing these problems.

There is no bug in Win7 Pro that causes that kind of problem.

I can't read the contents of your little system icon thingie without turning off all the security on my browser, and I just won't do that.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also these programs that you are using were NOT built for Windows 7 and may not even be supported.
I know that Office 2000, is not supported in working with Windows 7.

As for the other two list I never heard of them, I would check with their websites to see what they do with Windows 7.

jiml8

Good point, though I did have Office 97 working (sort of) in Win 7 prior to upgrading to Office 2007.

When I had problems with Office 97 (frequently) at least it would give an error message.

TerryNet

Terry
I used Office 2000 Professional with Windows 7 32-bit for nearly a year and had no trouble with Excel and Word.

I'm using Office 2000 Pro with Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit with no trouble.

When I installed the suite, Windows 7 didn't even ask about compatiblity; it just installed without a hitch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts