1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by JJ3001, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJ3001

JJ3001 Thread Starter

Earlier today when i logged o to my home computer (operating system windows xp) i found that all my short cuts had been replaced with the shortcut name.inc for example Microsoft Word.inc then if i click on it it comes up with the message saying "to open this file windows needs to know what program created it" so i can choose between choose program from list or use the web to find the correct program. the web cannot find the correct program obviusly because they are all shortcuts.

i ran a virus scan and there was one critical file so the file was removed, however this obviously won't reverse the effects, and its difficult because some programs won't work, because i dont know where they are actually saved onb the system.

however if i know where to find the program ie installed programs will be in program files (obviously:)) so these will still work, so

even if you don't know how to find a permantent solution, can anyone tell me where some of the system tools are such as "system restore" and other programs that are already on the system. but were not intsalled by myself

i know this goes on a bit but its handy to make sure everyone understands what i mean (well i hope you all do:D:D:D:D:D):eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice