1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Probs linking Hotmail to Outlook!!!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Rippa, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Hello! I recently installed MS Outlook 2002 to my PC and I would like to link it up to my Hotmail and Gmail accounts. I have followed the recommended steps for linking my Hotmail account, but it never works.

Everytime I try, Outlook responds with the following message: "An error has occurred in the script on this page. Object doesn't support this property or method: 'View Ctl1. Outlook Application'. Any suggestions?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi Rippa

Did you get your Gmail account up and running on Outlook 2002?

For Hotmail, are you attempting to use the Outlook Connector to download your Hotmail messages or are you using the POP server settings?

Let us know.

3. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. As for the Hotmail account, I did not select the POP option when trying to link my account. Instead, I selected the HTTP option. Additionally, I tried d-loading the Outlook Connector from a website and it wouldn't d-load properly.

Finally, I didn't even try connecting my Gmail account because I don't know how, and I don't want to mess things up any further. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you so much!

4. EAFiedler

We can start with the Hotmail settings first.
    Personally, I don't like to use extra software if it isn't needed, such as the Outlook Connector. I go straight to the source with POP3 server settings.

These are the pop3.live.com settings, for Hotmail:

POP: pop3.live.com
    SMTP: smtp.live.com

Incoming server (POP): 995
    Outgoing server (SMTP): 587

My outgoing server requires authentication, Yes.​

Setup your Hotmail account as a POP account then send yourself a message to Test it.
    Let us know if you need further clarification on the steps and or if that was successful we'll move on to the Gmail account setup.

5. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Hello again!

I followed your directions but I still had problems. I didn't select the SPA (secure password authentication) option. Was I supposed to? Anyways, after following your directions, I was successful in 1) Establishing network connection, 2) Finding outgoing mail server (SMTP), and 3) Finding incoming mail server (POP3).

The actions that failed include: 1) Logging onto incoming mail server (POP3) and 2) Sending test email message. Do you have any additional suggestions? Thanks! :)

6. EAFiedler

Correct, do not use SPA.

When you configured your account did you use your full e-mail address as the User Name under the Logon Information?

7. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Hi There!

The first time I did not enter my full email address when entering my username. However, I tried again using my full email address as my user name and I came across the same errors. Any thoughts/suggestions?

8. EAFiedler

You are receiving the same error from your first post?

Can you take a screenshot of the error and attach it as a .jpg file?

Did the Outlook Send/Receive progress window open at all?
    If so, did it show any errors on the Error tab?

Does the Hotmail HTTP account appear in:
    Tools > E-mail Accounts ?
    If so, remove that account.

The Outlook Connector is not running, is it?

9. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Hello Again!

Attached are two screen shots from MS Outlook. I don't see my Hotmail HTTP account when I select on Tools > Email Accounts. Also, I'm not sure if the Outlook Connector is running or not. I tried d-loading the Outlook Connector a few days ago but I don't believe that I downloaded it successfully. What do you think from here?

Attached Files:

10. EAFiedler

Thank you, that is exactly what I needed to see. :)

In the fields marked:
    Incoming mail server (POP3): You have 995
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): You have 587

You should be using these server settings:
    Incoming mail server (POP3): pop3.live.com
    Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.live.com

Then click the: More Settings button > Advanced tab
    and enter the Server Port Numbers:
    Incoming server (POP3): 995
    and
    Outgoing server (SMTP): 587 on that page.

My apologies, it never occurred to me that, that information would be transposed in that way. :eek:

After correcting the above settings, try sending yourself a Test message.

11. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Hi There!

I followed your directions step-by-step by I am still having difficulty. Attached are two screenshots that show the response that I got from MS Outlook. What do you think? Thanks!

Attached Files:

12. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Bump!

13. EAFiedler

Unfortunately, I have found that the Hotmail setup using their SMTP server setting is not actually working for me, either. :(
    I can receive messages fine but sending messages is resulting in errors and the message is never sent. I was able to overcome this problem by using my ISP's SMTP server settings and logging into my ISP's server first.
    Also, the best way to test whether or not the account settings have been configured correctly is to create and send an actual message to yourself. Using the Test Account Settings button gives me a green light all day long, attempting to send the message gave me errors.​

The Outlook Connector requirements say it can be used with Outlook 2003 or newer versions. Unfortunately, that rules out Outlook 2002. You could setup Outlook to use your ISP's outgoing (SMTP) server, for your Hotmail account. Though, I don't believe that is the way it is supposed to work. Otherwise, it looks like your other option would be to download Windows Live Mail, the POP and SMTP server settings work correctly in that e-mail client, go figure. :rolleyes:

You can download Windows Live Mail here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E5-2024-4631-806E-757693072A1C&displaylang=en

This link shows step by step how to configure a Gmail account in Outlook 2002:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA011488981033.aspx

Let us know if you need further help with this.

14. Rippa

Rippa Thread Starter

Hi There!

Thank you for your detailed response, I really appreciate your help thus far. I'm confused though...are you saying that if I d-load Windows Live Mail then I will be able to link my Hotmail account to Outlook 2002?

Also, I haven't linked my G-mail account to Outlook yet because I don't want to do that if I am not going to be able to do the same with my Hotmail account. Would you mind clarifying? Thanks! :)

15. EAFiedler

Windows Live Mail is another e-mail program and it is free. No, it would not link your Hotmail account to Outlook 2002, it is a separate program.

If you would like, we can attempt to setup your Hotmail account in Outlook 2002 using your ISP's SMTP server settings.
    You do have an e-mail account with your ISP?
    Who is your Internet Service Provider?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice