1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Probs with desktop - laptop LAN setup

Discussion in 'Networking' started by TenThirteen, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TenThirteen

TenThirteen Thread Starter

Hello all, a plea for help really from an absolute beginner at home networking!

Essentially I have a desktop pc running XP pro with a pci ethernet LAN card installed and a separate pci ADSL modem. I have now got a new laptop running XP home also with a LAN ethernet device. Using the supplied crossover cable I basically want to share files and folders between these two machines. I'm also looking to share my desktop's internet connection and printer... but let's not run before I can walk!

I believe all hardware to be correctly installed and configured as the laptop and pci ethernet LAN card have been used together on someone else's home network setup without problems (pity he's on holiday so I cannot get his help on the setup!)

Right, so all hardware is installed, plugged in, turned on etc. with both the windows xp and separate firewalls disabled on both machines. I have run the XP connection wizard for connecting the two machines but they are unable to "see" each other (or themselves for that matter on the network) I have used the identifiers "desktop" and "laptop" and have labelled the network "home" but no joy.

I realise this is an absolutely insulting question to the board but I have tried running the wizards again and again, rebooting machines etc but I am plagued by the "network cable unplugged" - (which it definitely isn't at either end) I'm sure I'm making some fundamental error here that I'll kick myself for later!

Any advice much appreciated!
    ;o)

2. Nohcrakrad

Nohcrakrad

3. TenThirteen

Hi. Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm off to check out those links now. I was given the pci ethernet card so I figured I would try and use that first but I think I can see a router on the horizon...

;o)

4. TenThirteen

Success!

Turned out that I was given the wrong cable (!) - but a thousand thanks for those two step-by-step links. Both desktop and laptop are hunky dory, sharing files, printers and internet connection - thanks to the tutorial!

Thank you!
    ;oD

5. Nohcrakrad

Nohcrakrad

No problem.
    Thanks for the feed back.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275346

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice