1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Probs with importing OE email files...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by awmiller, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. awmiller

awmiller Thread Starter

Recently bought a new laptop with Office XP Home edition. Was trying to convert email message from Outlook Express from my desktop to the new laptop. I exported the emails in a comma dilimeted format but was never given the option to give the file a unique file name. However, I copied the .pst file assuming that this would have all of my emails. I opened up Outlook Express on my laptop and then imported the email file in (so I thought). None of the emails that I had exported were imported. Did I miss a step or do this wrong altogether? Thanks y'all.

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

3. DVOM

DVOM

If you burned them to CD, after you've put them on the new hard drive you'll have to change the "read only" property before you import them.

BTW, Outlook Express uses *.dbx files, Outlook uses *.pst files.

So are you trying to import Outlook files into Outlook Express?

4. awmiller

awmiller Thread Starter

Thanks for the updates!!! What I'm trying to do is copy all of my messages (and hopefully folders and their layouts) from Outlook Express (on a desktop) back into Outlook Express (on my laptop).

Cheers!
    Alan

5. DVOM

DVOM

6. awmiller

awmiller Thread Starter

Much obliged gang!! I'll give these steps a whirl over the weekend and see if I can't get me messages ported over from the desktop to the laptop. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!

7. DVOM

DVOM

I've moved my OE "store folder" to another partition to avoid losing any when restoring a ghost image of C. This has an added benefit of putting it in an easy to find place. "D:\Mail".

I had to create the "D:\Mail" folder before I moved the store folder.

Now after I reinstall an OS, I just open OE and move the store folder again and point it to the folder on D.

It gives a message "There's already mail in the folder, do you want to keep it?", I click "yes" and I'm done.

With this method I was able to triple boot XP, w2k, and 98 and they all shared the same store folder.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice