1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

probs with netwrking a pc

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grybeard22, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grybeard22

grybeard22 Thread Starter

Hey all
    I need a little help
    I formated an ol pc with win98se ...128 Ram and a 10 gig HD
    Trying my best to get it on my small home network and for the life of me it just wont connect.

I have been over and over this thing to the point of thinking it would make a good victim for the hydraulic press I have in the garage!!!...lol
    Anyway I installed a netgear 311 nic card and configured the network as I always do with netbeui and all ( I use ICS with a 5 port hub by the way) and all I get is page not displayed and all I see on the net is itself.
    I have tried 4 different nic cards that I have and get the same result...I am obviously missing something here but what is the question? Im not a novis at this and always thought I was fairly good at this but this one has really got me scratchin the bald head quite a bit......lol

thanks for any help
    tired and frustrated!!!!

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy grybeard22...

First off I'm not good with ICS, but the only thing I can think of at the moment, is make sure the workgroup names are the same...

3. grybeard22

thanks jedi
    well I wish it was as simple as that ...lol...but been there and done that and that didnt do it ....lol

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

LOL sometimes I wish that too...

Can you ping other pc's by name and IP address ?

Also can you ping 127.0.0.1 from the problem pc ?

5. grybeard22

nope nada .....Kapute! not a thing....its like as if the nic card isnt working at all althou it has the green light and the hub also indicates that there is a connection made....its a real stumper

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

HMMM...

Interesting 127.0.0.1 is the local loop back of the card, have you tried to move the card to a different slot on the motherboard, so it will grab a different IRQ ?

7. grybeard22

now hey thats an idea that I hadnt thought of .....god I hate getting old!! wears out the brain just thinkin....lol
    Anyway I will give that a try in the AM ....thanks for the help

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hey my friend getting there myself ( my beard is getting grey too ;) :D, and my head is almost bald... ), let us know what you find...

9. grybeard22

lol well now I dont feel so bad!! ya i will and thanks for the assist

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Hey no problem...

Also maybe in the AM someone can offer better suggestions, like I said I'm not good with ICS ;)...

11. grybeard22

well gang just for the latest update ....
    Jedi and I hashed this out last nite for no joy at all ....I did change the slot for the nic this mornin but....sigh...still no joy...now I like joy ....it makes me happy!!!

Now this has become a challenge!...anyone up for a challenge today? ( hey jedi...now watch someone come in here and solve this right away)
    I have to laugh at this ...its so frustrating....and prolly so simple!

12. eurodat

eurodat

I would uninstall networking and reinstall it all again firstly.

What about firewall issues?

13. grybeard22

Hi eurodat
    well im glad that someone else thinks as I do!..lol
    Thats a real good suggestion with one exception....been there and also done that about 3 different times!...lol ....not running a firewall at this time.

when I do the "CRASH TEST" Ill post a pic.....rofl.....I'm told that AMD's dont land softly!!!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice