1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

procedure entry not found?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by QuietChick, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. QuietChick

QuietChick Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP Ver 5.1.2600 (I think) and keep getting the error message "The procedure entry point strcat_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll."

I've been told to use the startup disk and press the R for recovery but nothing works when I press the R. I can open the task manager and actually pull up files but I can't save them or do anything with them.

I can only open task manager and can open files by going to new task, browse and find what I need. However, I can't save anything to a drive or do anything with the files other than view them.

Any other ideas how I can get my old computer running again so I can retrieve some of my files?
    :(

2. SoftMaster

SoftMaster

Hi,

Did you tried the command sfc /scannow. Open a console an type sfc /scannow. Usually, you will need the Windows XP CD to repair the files.

Thanks for reading.

3. QuietChick

QuietChick Thread Starter

I do have the original XP disk. However, the one have says it's home edition and the computer is telling me I have Media Center Edition. I'm not sure how that happened. I'm not real good with fixing computers and knowing what to do at commands.

I started it in safe mode with command prompt and typed in the sfc / scannow and all it did was tell me what it does. I'm so confused. I just keep restarting the computer and trying different things and this just isn't working. Should I put the original version on my XP back in and keep trying with that? I don't know why it won't let me do a system recovery by typing the R. This seems to fix the problem for everyone else who has this problem.

4. SoftMaster

SoftMaster

Ok,

Please type the command sfc /scannow as is seen here. Don't put a space between / and scannow.

You can watch this video and see how the command will run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie483WryiXY

Thanks for reading.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086062

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice