1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Process list and user settings problem, windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by threepwood, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threepwood

threepwood Thread Starter

Hello all. I've got a strange problem which has already seemingly stumped someone (can't post a URL so go to forums dot spywareinfo dot com, search under members for threepwood and it's called "ie shutdown, explorer process at 60% on startup, possible virus hijack of explorer") but seeing as it seems less likely to be a spyware problem and more like a windows problem i thought i'd post here and give up on the other thread.

Anyway here are the problems:
    Process list doesn't fluctuate when it is opened. On startup explorer shows a stupidly high cpu usage and doesn't change while the window is open. Also if i leave the list open and open up another program, for example notepad, the program will start up but wont come up on the process list. This happens only on the one account, even if i open it in safe mode. No other accounts seem affected until i try copying all my settings over to another account. I need to know what the problem is and how to solve it so that no other accounts will be affected.

Another problem cropped up a few days ago. My bookmarks list in IE seems to have gone. Don't know why. IE isn't my main browser so im not too upset, although im sure i had some decent links saved which i cant remember now. Also today the computer decided to say it had found and installed some new hardware, my scanner, when my scanner had been fuly installed around 3 years ago.

System restore isn't possible because i have no points to restore to before this problem cropped up. There do seem to be some problems with windows update running, but it does run eventually. Windows XP is fully up to date.

No new programs have been installed which could have caused the problem (i've already uninstalled some stuff i thought might be causing it) and i've got no idea what else to try.

OS is Windows XP SP2, no error messages come up.
    Thanks in advance :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. threepwood

threepwood Thread Starter

Yeah, i've checked that stuff but if it was a virus or spyware it would have shown up in all the scans and junk i've run. There is only one instance of explorer runing and as i said above, i think it is a personal settings problem rather than a system problem. I have also run the sfc /scannow thingy, which probably would have cleared explorer up if there was a problem with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/411522

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice