1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processer change?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brian8474, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

I have an HP pavilion A305W Pc with an intel celeron 2.8 gig processor.My question is a friend of mine gave me his old motherboard and it has an amd athlon 64 3500+ processor on it.Can i take that processor chip and replace my celeron chip with it?

2. sickcars

sickcars

no you can't, you cant put your friends AMD cpu in the same motherboard that your Intel Celeron Cpu is in. It will not work and wont fit either way.

You will need to use a Motherboard that supports the AMD cpu, and if you do that you may also need new ram to depending on what kind you have now and what the new motherboard supports.

Ciao

3. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

Ok i just switched the motherboards out.I used the ram that i already had which is pc 2700. The pc will not startup.I can get to bios and setup but windows will not start and when it tries the pc just restarts? Do you think my ram is incompatible?
    The mother board i just put in is an everex amd athlon64 3500+.

4. sickcars

sickcars

If you can get into the bios and so on then your ram is fine. The problem is that you probably did not uninstall your chipset drivers and all that. if you had done that before changing MB's then it might of worked. So basically what is happening is your system is booting up and loading the old drovers for your INTEL motherboard, so all the chipset drivers and all that which wont work so it restarts.

Solution, Try to get into safe mode that MIGHT work but my guess is no. So your pretty much looking at reinstalling Windows to fix the problem.

Ciao

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Since you have an HP Pavillion, you probably also have the system retore disks that came with the HP as you OS discs. If this is the case you can not use them to install the OS for use with the new motherboard. THis disc will have the the Drivers for the HP on it to install. Also it is what is known as an OEM copy of windows. Loading this on anything except the Motherboard that is an exact match to what the computer and the OS disc was sold with is considered a form of Piracy of the OS. THe OEM copy of windows must go away with the old Motherbord and Processor. If you do not have a retail copy of windows then you will have to purchase one to have a legal installation of windows on your computer.

If you do have a retail copy of windows (NOT OEM that has been previously installed on another system), then as was stated before you would need to do a clean install of windows with it, then install the Motherboard Drivers from the new motherboard manufacturer.

6. brian8474

brian8474 Thread Starter

I see so in other words i would have to go and buy xp to be able to make this motherboard work.And i defineitely want to stay genuine with xp.Oh well im glad i got the motherboard free.Guess i just need to save for a new pc.

7. DeLorean

DeLorean

Your friend passed you an 'old board' with an Athlon 64 3500+ on it?

I wish I had friends like yours! 0_o

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you can buy a copy of XP home from newegg for less than $100

9. GripS

GripS

I would go with getting a copy of windows off of newegg. That 3500+ will SMOKE your old celeron.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

You can borrow an XP disc from a buddy, reinstall and activate with your old key on the HP machine. Just did that myself, and it worked. You have to use the phone activation...

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    What you have just done is suggest a way for this poster to perform an act of Software piracy and is not condoned by this forum.

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Actually, that's not software piracy if he calls MS and they let him use a key from an OS is no longer being used on the old machine. If MS undertands what he's doing and gives him and activation key, how can it be piracy? I am sure if they have a problem with it, the will not give him an activation key.

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

It is NOT piracy to RE-ACTIVATE a key that you already have licensed. It is simply reinstating it.

You can only install it on ONE machine. Piracy is attempting to steal keys or use keys that don't belong to you.

I don't suggest or condone stealing software of any kind, dustyjay.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Aactually if you read the EULA for an OEM version of Windows using the key for the OEM copy to install someone elses copy of windows would be piracy even if it did work. It is doubtful if it could be used to install the copy anyway though, I have always had to insert the Key before getting to the Activation screen.

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

NO, you're using the SOFTWARE to reinstall the system and reactivate the SAME key you already had.

You cannot repair or reinstall XP with branded system discs when the branded BIOS is gone. Nothing in the EULA says you can't keep XP when you buy a new motherboard for your HP.

So you enter the key that's on the machine itself and call Microsoft and tell them what you are doing (you don't have to lie about it), and they give you an activation code. Simple as that. It's NOT piracy, it's not cheating MS, they don't have a problem with it. In fact they've been nothing but helpful when I do it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536316

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice