1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processes in Task Manager

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kbernardi, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kbernardi

kbernardi Thread Starter

Why don't the process always end when an application is closed? I have experienced this on multiple computers and it appears to be iexplore.exe and outlook.exe. I have to go to the task manager to manually force the process to end before I can open another instance of the application. The computers are running Windows XP, SP2.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have a PDA attached to your system?
    This will keep Outlook open in the background.
    As for IE any program checking for updates will keep it running.

3. kbernardi

kbernardi Thread Starter

No, there is no PDA attached and I have the Automatic Updates for Windows disabled.

4. techychick

techychick

This third party program works well

This program allows you to quickly terminate applications, processes, windows, to start/stop Windows services and etc. ie. you may "kill" a frozen (hanged up) application, process or service by clicking on the windows taskbar's Task Killer icon and choosing application (process) from the menu list. You will forget clumsy key combination Ctrl-Alt-Del forever!
    http://www.rsdsoft.com/task_killer/index.php4

You may also want to consider this registry tweak

Force Close Stopped Responding Programs & Frozen Processes

5. kbernardi

kbernardi Thread Starter

Thank you. I'll check these methods, the registry tweak sounds particularly interesting, but why would this begin suddenly? I have been at this particular organization for 3 years and have just recently encountered this issue. The hardware has not changed (except for my laptop that I reimaged in an unsuccessful attempt to correct the situation) I noticed it on my laptop it was iexplore.exe and now I have another user with the same issue except his is outlook.exe. Luckily the user is computer savvy and I was able to show him how to end the process through task manager, otherwise he is unable to open the application again. He had been restarting the computer prior to the task manager training.

Also, the application does not hang when this occurs. The application is simply closed intentionally and when you try to reopen it, it doesn't respond until you end the process.

6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Some times when these programs are open and the machine will hibernate or go to sleep, these program did not get restarted fully and then the user will start them again leaving the extra program running in the background.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697645

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice