1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor and motherboard compatability

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ballpark570, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ballpark570

ballpark570 Thread Starter

I have a Pentium III processor rated at 1.1 gig and a motherboard that supports up to 800 megahertz for the P III . Are they compatable? Rick

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    From the information you provided, no. If the motherboard supports up to 800MHz then 1.1 GHz is more then that. However you may be able to get a BIOS update that will allow you to use the CPU. Please post the motherbaord model and the type of CPU. There are a few Pentium III's types using a different form factor, core, and Front Side bus.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

Does your P3 processor have a small (1cm square) chip in the middle of it, or is it covered by a large silvery plate? If it's the latter, you have a Tualatin P3 and it won't work in your motherboard without a converter.

4. ballpark570

The motherboard is a DTK PRM 27i The processor has the small square in the center of it.

I bought the board on ebay. The ad clearly said the board would support a
    P III processor up to 1.2 gig but when the board arrived today, the setup manual said it was rated for celeron processors up to 500 mhz and PIII processors up to 800 Mhz. The seller isn't in any hurry to answer my emails regarding this issue............

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Wow, thats the first I've heard of that company and its support site is strongly lacking.

If the seller said it would work maybe he's tried it. If your CPU only runs on teh 100MHz FSB then it may work. If not DTK does offer a BIOS update but they only listed what tha last release fixed; its quite possible that a BIOS update raises the supported CPU's to above 1GHz as thats fairly common for a BIOS to support new CPU's as they come out. Manuals can become outdated pretty quick.

BIOS: http://www.dtk.com.tw/download/bios/27ib.html
    Drivers: http://www.dtk.com.tw/download/driver/27id.html

6. ballpark570

The front side bus of the processor is 100 mhz. Would it damage anything if I paired the two up and they were incompatable?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No it shouldn't damage anything with that CPU. Make sure you put a heatsink and fan on the CPU before turning the CPU on though.

8. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

Is this a Slot 1/Socket 370 board?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Both should be Socket 370.

10. DBelton

DBelton

Any PIII processor over 1GHz is a Tualatin processor, which will NOT work on a motherboard that wasn't specifically made to support them. A bios upgrade will not get you support for a Tualatin processor since the problem is in voltage differences between the Tualatin core (1.45 V) and the Coppermine core (1.75 V) and the chipsets made before the Tualatin will not support the voltages and the Tualatin uses pins that the Coppermine doesn't use. The difference is hardware, not firmware so a bios update will not get you compatibility.

As far as the maximum your motherboard will support, it should support a PIII up to 1GHz if it has the coppermine core.

There are adapters available from PowerLeap that will allow the use of a Tualatin core processor in a board designed for just the Coppermine.

11. DBelton

DBelton

Another thing... If the FSB of the processor you have is 100 MHz, then you have a Tualatin Celeron, not a PIII. The PIII Tualatin's have a 133 Mhz FSB.

12. Arcadion

Arcadion

I have a Coppermine Celeron at 1100MHz (11 x 100MHz) in my home machine (not overclocked, that's the standard speed), it's the highest-clocked Coppermine Celeron and the highest-clocked Coppermine-core processor available (since the 1133MHz Coppermine P3 was withdrawn because of reliability issues). It sounds to me like ballpark570 has the same processor as me.

13. DBelton

DBelton

I had forgotten that the Celeron did have a 1100 Mhz Coppermine...

I hope this is the one that he has, since his motherboard probably won't support a Tualatin processor.

14. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

If it doesnt you can pick up Scket 370 CPU's of all shapes and sizes and colors at www.compgeeks.com

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There are still plenty of Coppermine 1.13Ghz PIII's out there.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice