1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor and motherboard issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jake Bullet, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jake Bullet

Jake Bullet Thread Starter

i need to upgrade my computer in the areas of processor speed and RAM. i'm looking to get at least a AMD athlon 2800+ 64. what i need to know is whether or not i need to get a new motherboard aswell. i'm not too sure on the type of motherboard i have all i know is that its currently holding an AMD athlon 1.24 ghz processor. if i do need to get a new motherboard could someone tell me the difference between sempron and athlon.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Don't buy anything until you identify your motherboard. Is this a branded system or a custom? We can help you find out what it is if you provide more information. Boards only support a certain speed and architecture of processor, and the socket type has to match. So finding out exactly what it is is critical. Same goes for RAM. Without a motherboard spec, you won't even know what you can use.

The Athlon or Athlon64 are the standard single core processors. The Sempron is the budget line. What you use the computer for will determine which processor is a better fit.

3. Jake Bullet

i didn't really make the computer i just added other stuff to it later after we got it. i know its a custom job. we'va had this motherboard since we got it and i've added RAM to it but this will be first time i replace processor. where would be the best place to find out specifics of motherboard.

i genrally need it for gaming, hence why i need to upgrade it.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

See if this utility will tell you;

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

That should tell you RAM speed, timings, CPU make and model, and mainboard make and model.

See what that tells you and post back...

5. Jake Bullet

memory = SDram 512
    CPU = AMD athlon core speed 1244.6 mhz
    mainboard = (manufactorer - ECS)&(model - K7S5A)

hope that helps.

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ok--here is what you CAN put in your board. http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Model.aspx?detailid=192&MenuID=69&LanID=9

Unfortunately, with that outdated technology, you won't find much in the way of NEW processors available. Here's one resource: www.starmicro.net Be sure the FSB and frequency match. You have a Socket A motherboard--also known as a Socket 462 or Socket A/462.

RAM: you can have EITHER DDR 200/DDR 266 OR PC133/PC100 (SDRAM).

Right now you have SDRAM, which is somewhat slower than DDR200 or DDR266. However, you can't use both at once. I'm guessing you have 2 x 256MB of SDRAM right now, but if you only have one stick x 512, you can add another 512MB stick. Or you can ditch the SDRAM and get DDR in the amount that your board will support.

Download and read your manual here: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Do...=K7S5A (V3.1) &CategoryID=0&MenuID=52&LanID=9

In picking out RAM, go to www.crucial.com and plug in your motherboard to the configurator. It will tell you exactly what you can and can't use.

On a side note: Your current CPU is in the upper range of what your board will support. What that means is you won't get a miraculous performance boost. Going to the maximum supported XP should give you a boost, however. Don't put a Sempron or Duron in there, that will be a downgrade.

7. Jake Bullet

i've looked at what my motherboard can take i need at least 2800+ which it doesn't support. since thats the case i'll need a new one, i can get a 2800+ with motherboard but its sempron so i'm not too sure if i should get it. it supports DDR 266 and up and supports up to 2gb. should i get this or keep looking?

8. telegramsam

telegramsam

What are you doing with this system? Gaming, office work, surfing...?

9. Jake Bullet

Gaming, surfing, i'm upgrading for gaming purposes.

10. telegramsam

telegramsam

Are you doing it because of published requirements for a game?

You've really hit the the threshold where it makes more sense to start over.

If you want to build a gamer, and you're going with a single core processor, the Athlon 64 would definitely be the way to go. The Sempron just doesn't have the performance level of the Athlon. Of course with any gamer, the video card is going to determine just how well it performs.

Do you have a budget you're working with?

11. Jake Bullet

dont we all.

i think my video card is fine, i just need to improve the overall speed of it so i dont look like a 50's silent cartoon.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice