1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor being used 100%

Discussion in 'Games' started by Raiten, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Raiten

Raiten Thread Starter

When i play WoW (World of Warcraft) and alt+tab out the game takes/uses 100% of my computers processing power. The game is designed to run in windowed mode or alt+tab. Windowed mode doesn't change it either. Is there any way for me to prevent the game from using 100% of my computers memory?

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

You can try turning the priority down, either by going to task manager and turning it down manually, or by loading it with a batch file and the /belownormal or /low switch.

3. Psych

Psych

Give us some more info on your computer =),
    What processor and mainboard are you running? How much ram? What kind of video card?
    Is the processor only at 100% while you play WoW, how much does it use prior to playing WoW?
    Also when you alt-tab WoW and hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to check your processor usage, are you giving Windows a second to catchup, if your low on memory and you alt-tab your processor is going to go insane and be at 100% usage for prolly around a full minute.
    Is it consistantly at 100%?

4. Raiten

Raiten Thread Starter

I have a Sony Vaio, 2.2 GHz Pentium 4, 1GB PC2100 RAM, GeForce Ti4600 Graphics Card, Windows XP, Maxtor 200GB HD.

When i run the game and alt+tab out, the game still uses between 85-100% of the processors capacity constantly, it's doesn't go down. And when i'm not running the game the processor is only at 8% usually.

5. Psych

Psych

Ok, that system you mention is a nice system =) I'm curious now (as I have no way to test) if other people have the same issue, where WoW will constantly use up almost all of their processor power while windowed or alt-tabbed.
    Do other applications seem to load up decent still while the game is running? I mean is there an issue why the game can't be using that much processor power, if it's running fine and your other apps are loading ok while it's running, then it's ok that it's utilizing your computers power =).
    If you need to break up some CPU power for other apps, the 2nd post on this topic is a good way todo that.
    Is there anything in particular that's not working right for you though is what I'm trying to find out.

6. Raiten

Raiten Thread Starter

Well everything works fine, but when the game is windowed, or minimized it's not supposed to take up the computers process power. My main problem is that it takes about 5 minutes to open/load anything outside of the game. Call it impatience or whatnot but it didn't used to be like this and i want to fix it, if possible. My room mate has the game as well, and when he does the same thing, he only runs at 40% CPU.

I remember doing something with the regedit one time for Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. I don't remember exaclty what, but i guess it's a common gaming modification to allow the game to run smoother, and to run each application you open in it's own window or something. Or i'm talking out of my arse, i'm not too educated in that area of computers lol.

7. Psych

Psych

Try what Deathblow mentioned above, and keep us up to date. If your friends computer is running at 40% then theres no reason yours should be eating up the whole CPU.
    Like it says in the sticky above too, run Ad-aware and make sure theres nothing else running in the background that shouldn't be. That can slow things down in general, and REALLY slow things down if theres another big app going. Ad-ware type stuff can cause a tremendous ammount of problems.
    Keep us updated =), If I can't solve this or get you in the right direction I'm sure someone will have some ideas, but I'd start there.

8. Raiten

Raiten Thread Starter

Yeah i'll have to give it a try. Also i did run adaware, spyware blaster, norton and everything. Turned off all Services on my computer. But WoW still takes up all the processing power.

9. Psych

Psych

This is a shout in the dark, but did you try updating your mainboard chipset drivers yet. Sometimes this makes the hardware function more proficiently and "may" help the situation.

10. Raiten

Raiten Thread Starter

No i haven't, where would be a good place to get the newest drivers? Probably the Sony website? :confused:

11. Psych

Psych

Yes, that would be a good start if the computers a sony. I didn't check your first post but another thing that was on my mind was check how much ram you have compared to your friends computer. If it's doing a memory dump to the harddrive that will make your CPU usage go thru the roof, but it shouldn't be consistant like it is if thats the case.
    If Sony's site doesn't have the drivers, which they should, they should have some info about the mainboard in your computer. It's most likely an Intel, Sis, Via, or nForce chipset.
    If it's an Intel processor it COULD still be a non Intel chipset so try to look into what you have. If I'm not mistaken the driver won't even install if you choose the wrong one (chipset wise anyways).
    Let me know how that works for you, like I said it's one of those things that may not work out, but something I just wanted to throw out there to try.

12. Sitb

Sitb

The only thing I can think of is running "msconfig" and stopping any unwanted programs that may be starting when you turn on the computer but it sounds like the problem is with 'WOW' its self.

13. Psych

Psych

msconfig I don't think comes with anything past Win98/Me, although you can copy it from that OS and run it on Windows 2000 and I'm quite sure XP also. but yes I agree it sounds WOW specific but who knows, the more stuff we throw out there, the more chances we have of finding a fix =)

14. Sitb

Sitb

I run Windows XP and msconfig is included.

15. Deathblow

Deathblow

To run msconfig, go to start/run and type in msconfig.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!