1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor benchmarks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wolfworx, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Curious about the relative performance of two of my computers, I have made the comparison using benchmark software I have on hand. Fresh Diagnose is the latest release, 5.80.

Here are the results:

Computer #1
    Intel Celeron 500 MHZ
    ASUS Motherboard
    Ext. Clock 66 MHz

Fresh Diagnose Benchmark:
    412 MWIPS
    1538 MDIPS
    Speed 501

Callmark BM System test:
    --------------

Computer #1
    VIA Cyrex 667 MHz
    Soyo SY-7ISA+ Motherboard
    Ext. Clock 133 MHz

Fresh Diagnose Benchmark:

15 MWIPS
    816 MDIPS
    Speed 669

Callmark BM System test:
    ------------------
    Assuming these benchmarks are valid tests of system performance, is there something I can to improve the performance on the SY-7ISA+ system (Computer #2)?

I've set jumpers for the automatic detection of processor speed. What is the correct PCI clock setting and clock ratio for this processor? I'm using 133Mhz X5.

Does a Celeron processor provide improved performance over a similar speed VIA Cyrex?

Is there a better benchmark test for these systems? I believe Computer #2 should outperform Computer #1, but maybe I'm missing something.

2. gws226

gws226

try http://pcpitstop.com

They will evalute your PC and give you some recommendations (tweaks if you will) to improve system performence.

My recommendation for making it faster... get rid of the cyrix. Comparing cyrix to celeron is like comparing Celeron to Athlon64 (they both do the same thing but are two totally different animals)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I guess the Cyrex processor is the problem. With an Intel chip set on board, a Celeron should give me improved performance.
    Looks like it is time for a replacement. I think I can get a 1.2 Gz Celeron for under $40.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you want real performance don't get a Celeron bet a full blown Pentium 3 if the board will take it. It has more cache and a it runs on a faster bus: 100 or 133 as opposed to 66Mhz.

6. wolfworx

wolfworx Thread Starter

The system I build with this board and the Cyrix processor works satisfactorally but I expected it to show improvement over my 500 MHz Celeron system.

The Soyo MB uses the Intel 8215E chipset, so I assume using an Intel processor will give me a better result than the Cyrix 667 MHz. I have been told that i will probably get a higher benchmark with a Celeron 500 MHz on this socket 370 board.

The board manual suggests the following:

FSB 66MHz : Celeron (400-700 MHz.)
    FSB 100MHz : Pentium III (500-850 MHz.)
    FSB 133MHz : Pentium III (533-1000 MHz.)

Can I run a processor rated over 1GHz if I under-clock it? Can I run it above 1GHz if it is rated at say, 1.3GHz? The board was not that expensive so spending $200 for a new processor does not make a lot of sense. A $50 Celeron is more in line.

I have posted these questions to Soyo tech support, but they have not replied as yet.

7. gws226

gws226

i don't know if its worth it go out and buy a PIII>1gig at this stage for you.

at http://pricewatch.com [email protected] are going for $90 and I don't think thats worth it either.

Maybe a [email protected] w/ 133mhz bus is suitable for $68.
    But even at that price you can still find AMD tbirds @1.2 cheaper.

Actually they have deals for 1.1ghmz AMD Tbirds /200mhz bus and motherboard combo deals for $75. You will need to reinstall your OS if you change motherboards but everthing else should just plug right in.

When using pricewatch.com I suggest you check the companies reputation at http://resellerratings.com before you purchase.

In this class and price range I think the AMD investment is a better bet.

8. pronute

pronute

The one thing that stands out in my mind is that Cyrix has no multimedia extensions (MMX) and the Celerons and Pentiums do, may slow down quite a bit performing multimedia apps. with a Cyrix.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/134492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice