1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darakym, Sep 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darakym

Darakym Thread Starter

Hi, Im having a problem with my comp. Specs :

AMD 2700+
    A7V333-x
    1024 MB DDR PC 2700 333 MHz (2x 512 MB)
    Geforce 3 (Elsa Gladiac 920). Drivers: Detonator 45.33
    Soundblaster Live! Value
    Windows XP Pro

Problem: I have been running at 100 FSB ever since I bought my processor, mobo, and ram.
    My processor runs at 1300 Mhz while it should run at 2166 (at 333 FSB)

Recently I decided to finally fix this problem, since its pretty ridiculous that I let my comp run at half speed for so long.

When I set my FSB to 333 Mhz through the BIOS, I am experiencing lockups and freezes. For example when I try to run everquest, the sound will hang and the comp may reboot or cease responding.
    Not all games show this behaviour, and the comp stays pretty stable at desktop.

Could this be a faulty processor, or can it be the video card or memory?

2. buddhafabio

buddhafabio

try flashing the bios, your board had a problem with 2600+ processor fixed with a bios update.

3. Darakym

Darakym Thread Starter

Current bios version is second to last.
    The newest version (1.004) has nothing interesting listed under fixes, but I will try it. I wont count on it helping though, but thanks for the tip.

(using 1.003 bios currently)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Check your Heatsink/Fan - if it is not seated correctly or is misisng the thermal Paste then it could be overheating - hence check you temps. You can check temos in the BIOS or use ASus Probe or MBM 5.

Also try using 1 stick of RAM at a time.

5. Darakym

Darakym Thread Starter

Im running a diag utility showing CPU temp, its not getting very hot. got a new Vantec fan 2 days ago, made sure i used enough thermal paste.

I've also tried using 1 ram stick at a time, the same thing happens with either stick

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

Set your CPU speed to 166mhz!! Check your multiplier.

100 x 2 = 200Mhz
    133 x 2 = 266Mhz
    166 x 2 = 333Mhz
    200 x 2 = 400Mhz

7. Darakym

Darakym Thread Starter

Compiler: I have done that, and when I do that i get programs crashing. So my problem is exactly that: if i set it to 166, i get crashes. Trying to find out what causes it =/

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

After you have flashed your BIOS, reset your BIOS to DEFAULT settings...

Does it LOCK up on POST, or when Windows is loaded.

It's a strange... its like your timing is all screwed up... on ASUS boards, even thou you can control the FSB with BIOS - they have a jumper for 100 / 133~166 or 200mhz. Make sure its not on 100Mhz.

9. Darakym

Darakym Thread Starter

I will see if i need to adjust a jumped in addition to BIOS, and will reset bios to default and see if that helps.

Comp does not lock up until I to run a game. (and even then, some games run fine, but other game that ran fine before start maing my comp crash or reboot at random)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice