1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor clocks at half speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frontrunner3, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frontrunner3

frontrunner3 Thread Starter

Hello. I've been working on an old tower that I have on and off for about a year now. It has a soyo sy-k7ada v1.0 motherboard and an amd athlon 1800+ polomino processor. The trouble it was having was that it wouldn't post. No beeps or anything, just the fans spinning after power up. I've changed psu from a 250w to a 430w antec. I can get it to post now but only with the jumper settings on the motherboard misconfiged. This results in me getting only 766mhz instead of the 1.5ghz that I should be. When I have the jumpers set in the proper position it doesn't post. It has my bus speed set at 66mhz instead of the 133mhz that it should be at. The multiplier is right 11.5. T My question is would bad ram cause a situation like I'm having? I ran a memtest and it kept coming up with an fault at an address and then it would restart the test. I have one stick of pc 2100 512mb. There are 3 slots and I believe the motherboard can handle up to 1.5g of memory. When the tower was running before it had troubles with posting the speed it ran at was 1.1ghz. After doing research while troubleshooting I've learned that it should have always been running at 1.5ghz. Anyways any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to purchase another stick of ram to try. Thanks in advance.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

First I'd configure the MB properly - make sure the BIOs is set correctly for the CPU/Mem - and if it still doesn't work then maybe try new Mem.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the memory is failing diagnostics then thats not a good sign, its either faulty or not fully compatible with you system. It may not be able to run at full speed at 266Mhz.

Next, the orginal BIOS does not support Palomino cores, you need to update to BIOS KADA2BA1 to newer(KADA2BA5).

The Palomino XP 1800+ runs at approximately 1533Mhz; 133 x 11.5, thats also a 266Mhz effective bus.

4. frontrunner3

frontrunner3 Thread Starter

I reflashed the bios as you suggested and I still have the same issue. I guess I'll have to try the different ram. Whenever I change the jumper setting to the 133 fsb the computer won't post. I've even tried 100 setting and it's the same. It only posts when jumpered all on which is the default setting I believe. I clear the cmos everytime I try and change the setting.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice