1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tylerjohn, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

Not too long ago I replaced the processor fan on my PC due to a serious whirling type sound. This computer is the loudest machine I've ever heard and I felt I isolated the noise to the fan. The noise is intermittent which I assume is the thermostat kicking on and off. I guess this P4 runs very hot. The PC is still under warranty but I may have blown it by changing the fan (threw the old one out).

I bought a Thermaltake for around $20 and there was no improvement. I obviously should have spent a few more bucks on a better fan. Would you guys have any recommendations on a fan for this P4 or do you think I'm missing something here. The fan uses a 4 pin connector and the PC is the unit listed here. Thanks

2. BG-0

BG-0

Did you use thermal paste? Did you apply enough thin a layer of it?

3. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

Unfortunately I did not apply any additional paste when I swapped the fans. I guess I was counting on the paste left behind to be adequate. I will be sure to use thermal paste if I change the fan again but can that actually quiet down a very noisy fan or is it just a heat exchange issue. Even if this fan was to run less when it is on it's obnoxious.

I almost wonder if there is a setting in the bios to reduce fan RPM while still maintaining OK temp. I know they have fan speed controls as an accessory, but of course you have to be careful with something like that.

4. BG-0

BG-0

Every time you change the CPU HSF, you should clean the old thermal paste(at least from the processor) with pure 95% alcohol. EVERY time. Having old paste in there will reduce the heat transfer between the CPU and HSF, therefore forcing the computer to kick the fan to full speed...

And of course apply new paste (see some other thread on this forum for how-to)

5. replay

replay

6. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

Considering the fan I bought should have been at least a small upgrade over the OEM do you think it's worth removing and re-installing it with the proper paste application? I found a fan by Arctic Cooling that gets great reviews for cooling as well as noise levels for only $26 with free shipping as plan B.

7. BG-0

BG-0

If you're talking about Freezer Pro 7 (or 7pro, can't remember), go for that and get some Arctic Silver with it.

8. Tylerjohn

Tylerjohn Thread Starter

That's exactly the model I'm looking at. Great specs, good reviews and at $26 free shipping probably impossible to beat. They even supply thermal paste with it.

9. BG-0

BG-0

Ah, of course, forgot it had paste with it.. Then it's even cheaper than with AC. Get it. Love it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice