Processor help & new computer recommendations

iMarkeh

Hi there, I know I have a previous thread but I thought this would be more relevant under a new title.

Basically, I am looking to get a new computer as I want to upgrade my gaming performance. I currently have an I5-4440 and I use my computer predominately for gaming. Not like high games but Train Sim World for example. I have found a lot of Intel 5 and Ryzen 5 computers which have a much better base frequency and max turbo speed than my current but does this mean or is any speed/graphics improvements basically nil as the it's I5/Rayzen 5? Do I need to be getting I7/Rayzen 7? I ask since I was speaking to flavalee on another thread and they said that my CPU is already limiting my graphics card ability.

Leading on from that, is AMD Rayzen any good compared to Intel for games? I know at some point there was a big difference and people said never get AMD but reading through this forum, there seems to be a lot of comparisons going on and thus does that mean Intel and Rayzen are equal basically in terms of the series number (I know I need to compare chips to get a specific idea but generally speaking Rayzen 5/7 vs i5/i7 , which is better?).

Thirdly, am I looking for more cores or higher base frequency (Ie is 6 x 2.9ghz better or worse than 4 x 3.6ghz?)

Forth, not a processor one as much but is 8GB ram ok or would I be better with 16gb? Most games seem to be ok with 8gb.

To finalise, does anyone have any recommendations for a computer which matched my needs. I am hoping to pay around £600 but open to upto £700 for the right machine. The ones I keep finding on Amazon excel with one thing but then fail in another (i7 processor with a Nvidia GTX1050 or i5 processor with Nvidia 1650. Lots of ram and storage differences as well. Half of them also seem to have no OS as well which isn't helpful). I am trying to avoid the 'build your own' computer sites as well as they seem to charge a lot more than ordering a PC itself. I am in the UK as well so if possible, I want to avoid international fees.

This would be the first computer that I have ever bought I obviously I don't want to overspend but I do also want to be able to play games well on my computer.

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Oddba11

Jim
1) if you are cpu limited, then a faster cpu will increase performance (and reduce or eliminate the limitation)
2) equal. the only difference would be cpu speed, not brand
3) depends on the game type. Not all games use multiple cores. For older and games that don't take advantage of multiple cores, then speed is still the preference
4) depends on computer usage. 8gb is likely plenty unless you are a heavy multitasker.
5) Im not in the UK. And if you are buying off the shelf, there will always be sacrifices. Make a list of what options you need, and what you may want. Then shop around based on your needs. Your limitation here will be your budget.

iMarkeh

Thank you for your help on those.

5) Im not in the UK. And if you are buying off the shelf, there will always be sacrifices. Make a list of what options you need, and what you may want. Then shop around based on your needs. Your limitation here will be your budget.
Can I ask what sort of budget do you think would be more realistic? I am open to spend more but at the same time I do not want to pay like £1.5k for a computer for it to then be not much better than a £700. I also found that upon speaking to some sellers, upgrading a £700 computer up to a similar level to the 1.5k one, it worked out much cheaper than the more expensive one off the shelf.

I have found this one on Amazon, is it any good do you think?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PALICOMP-Gaming-Skylake-4-0Ghz-4-2Ghz/dp/B01M24NFTF/?th=1

I have spoken to the seller and they will upgrade it to a GTX1650 for £100 which I am looking to take but apart from that graphics thing, does this computer look decent spec wise for the price?

Oddba11

Jim
Just for clarification, I wasn't stating that your budget was too low. I simply meant that for the average person buying a computer, the budget, regardless of the amount, is the limitation. There is almost always something better if you spend more.

Having said that, that appears like a good build. You could likely save some money (or use it for more upgrades) by getting a Ryzen model. But otherwise it looks good. Also, aside from the security of going through Amazon, some vendors offer better pricing if you buy direct (assuming they have direct sales or their own website).

iMarkeh

Just for clarification, I wasn't stating that your budget was too low. I simply meant that for the average person buying a computer, the budget, regardless of the amount, is the limitation. There is almost always something better if you spend more.
Ahh, thank you for the clarification.

Having said that, that appears like a good build. You could likely save some money (or use it for more upgrades) by getting a Ryzen model. But otherwise it looks good. Also, aside from the security of going through Amazon, some vendors offer better pricing if you buy direct (assuming they have direct sales or their own website).
I did look at Ryzen models but prices were the same. I also looked through their direct website but it was very confusing and to make the same spec shown on Amazon, the price would be higher going direct.
Are there any other sites that you know of which do computers for a decent price? I looked around and most were the build you own and were much more expensive than Amazon (especially for the spec).

Oddba11

Jim
Aside from trying to build it on their site, take the model / hardware info and contact them concerning pricing direct vs Amazon. Some vendors prefer to only work through Amazon. Many will offer better pricing direct.

As for other sites, I've not used any as I simply build my own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online