Processor Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

N549TT

I currently have an old HP Pavillion XL756 and I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade the processor. My current processor is a Intel Pentium III, ~670MHz processor and I want to upgrade it to at least a 1.3 GHz processor, but preferably a 2.0 GHz processor or higher. Is this possible with a Pavillion and also will I have to get anything to accomodate the new processor, such as more fans, new motherboard, new power supply, etc...? Any reccomendations for a nice new processor (budget is not a concern), but would like it to be reasonable?

Here are my pc specs:

Machine name: Pavilion
Operating System: Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: Pavilion
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~670MHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 181MB used, 1356MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: /Silent
DxDiag Version: 4.09.0000.0902 32bit

Without getting into specific recommendations (I'm sure that others will come in with those), when you are talking about new processor, MB, Power supply etc., then you might as well go all the way with a new case, video card, and RAM especially if your budget is not a problem.

Im sorry but i hate to tell you the bad news. First off a 2ghz chip isnt even compatible with your motherboard. In order to run this chip you would need a new motherboard and ram. Since the mb is newer it doesnt run on sdram. It runs on ddr.

It's pretty unfortunate that proprietary systems dont have much upgradeability. They dont make them to be upgradeable to the point where you could just pop in a cpu and go. It's highly doubtful that a 1.3 will work in your system. You'd probably just smoke the motherboard.

I wouldnt waste any money on upgrading this machine. Since this machine is a lost cause. I would build a new one but that's my opinion. Wait and see what other users have to say before coming up with a decision.

I hope this helps....
I wish i could help you better but i hate giving out bad news when it comes to cash.

N549TT

So if the motherboard won't be compatible, why couldn't I just get a new mother board along with new RAM?

About a year ago I updated the video card to an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. If I were to build a new computer, would the video card and hard drives work on a newer motherboard?

Sure you can......It really depends on how much you want to spend. The newest motherboards out there support the new pci-express. Which is not compatible with agp or your 5200fx.

Let me ask you this.....
What is your primary use for the computer? This will tell us what will be right for you. Whether you just wanna surf the web, run applications, check email, play games, etc.

It would also help if we knew what kinda budget your looking to spend.

N549TT

I pretty much want to do just about everything with my computer. Mostly games though, because my pc that I have now is a little slow. If in fact I do just build a new computer, will my 2 existing hard drives still be compatible with the new system or motherboard?

One of the big problems with changing the motherboard in an HP is that the case connectors won't match up. HP uses molded block connectors, and it is unlikely that your new board would have all the connector pins in the same sequence.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online