Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Processor help

948 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
i have a gigabyte motherboard and i am looking to upgrade my processer. On gigabyte.com it says the highest processer my mother board can use is a "P4-Northwood 3.06G (HT)" What does northwood mean? im trying to find this processer on newegg but nothing is ocming up. Does anyone kno where to get this processer or what northwood means?

#2 ·
Northwood is a core, another common Pentium core is Prescott. If you are correct that your motherboard can only go up to the 3.06Ghz then you must only buy a processor with a 533Mhz FSB, no 800Mhz versions.

You'll have to shop elsewhere then Newegg.com for a such a CPU, the only one they currently have is the 2.66Ghz which is only marginally faster then your current 2.4Ghz P4. You might as well max it out at 3.06Ghz.

Here's one: http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=121

#8 ·
If its a good one then you wouldn't need to upgrade. The 2.4 and 3.06Ghz use the same fan.

Upgrading an entire computer to get SATA is pointless. If you really want SATA then you can buy a PCI to SATA add-on card. SATA is only marginally faster then PATA (IDE) unless you buy a WD Raptor or one of the new and expensive SATA drives and even then the drives aren't too much faster then the equilivant PATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.