1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor i3 Vs i5 vs dual core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by namo, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. namo

namo Thread Starter

can you sot these processor from best to worst and what is the difference?

core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
    core i3 2.2GHz
    core i5 2.2GHz

2. PinothyJ

PinothyJ

Okay, let me see if I can remember it all - or at least some of it. The new i3/5/7 processors are smarter and designed a whole lot better than the old range of Intel chips. For the moment it's best to ignore the GHz because it doesn't mean what it used to (at least not with the i range; what I'm trying to say is, you looked at two processors before and if one clock speed was faster than the other and the price would right you would go for that one).

The i range of processors, even the entry level i3 is faster than the equivalent core 2 Duo (well, an i3 compared to an Intel P E6500 it's supposed to be 40% faster 'multitasking', 78% faster with photo and video content and 26% increased productivity whilst an i5 compared to a core duo is 2.7x, 2.8x, 2x respectively). The reason it is faster is because of a combination of turbo boost and hyper threading. Turbo Boost is an overclocker that is built into the processor's tech to kick in when the system requires it and back off when it doesn't - not new technology but damn handy nevertheless. It's important to note that only the i5 and i7 has Turbo boost unfortunately.

Hyperthreading is much more exciting and it's the reason that the GHz indicated there isn't an accurate representation of the speed that is possible. HT allows 2-way (for dual core chips) and 4-way (for quad cores) 'multitask processing' which allows each core to work on two tasks at the same time. This effectively doubles (well almost) the cores your machine has without actually having to have the physical cores present. HT is available across the new i range of processors.

There are other features they are ranting about like integrated HD graphics and a 32nm size, but that there is the break down of the stuff that matters. I could have just said a simple Core Duo, i3, i5 as rated from worst to better, but I'd rather have you understand why than have you shrug and move on.

I hope that helped (you would never guess that I'm an AMD man)…

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice