1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

processor info

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by farside_trucker, Jan 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farside_trucker

farside_trucker Thread Starter

i need to know if i can install a new processor, but i don't know how to find out about compatibility issues.

i currently have a pentium II with mmx, and i desperately need an upgrade.

help.

2. brianF

brianF

You need to either check the manufacturer's site of the computer or motherboard to find out what cpu's are acceptable. Some offer bios upgrades that will add cpu support.

3. deuce

deuce

How fast is your PII? Intel only made those up to about 550 Mhz, and I'm sure that your motherboard supports that, but I don't really know. Do you know the make/model of your mobo? The speed which you can upgrade to depends on what your mobo supports. If you want more than the 550 that PII stoped at, you might be able to use a Solt-tp-Socket Adapter (SSA) and put in a Celeron II. Anyone know if you can do that? The Celeron I (Slot1) was pretty much the same configuration as the PII, if I remember correctly. I know a SSA works to put a Celeron II in the Celeron Slot1, so who knows, it might work in your PII... but like I said, it all depends on your mobo.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice