1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Processor -- Just need some help installing a new one, upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilusha2, Oct 12, 2002.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilusha2

ilusha2 Guest Thread Starter

I just need some help upgrading my processor from a 566MHZ Celeron to a 1.1GHz. I know that I already posted a thread about this, but now I got the instructions, and so it's different, so I'd like to use this thread instead. Now, I just need help to understand how to change the jumper settings and where they are, etc., here's the link where it explains what to change the jumper settings to -- http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/7500/ty10jmpr1.html

2. Sponsor

3. ilusha2

They also sent me this picture (attachment), but I don't think it's going to do any good, stupid support, they didn't even show ALL the jumpers or exactly where they are, how stupid are they?

4. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

If all you are doing is putting a faster chip in, don't worry about jumper pins! Just go to this page and follow procedures.

Once that is done, check the documentation to see if you want to change the clock speed. I wouldn't recommend overclocking because it will void the warrenty!

5. brianF

brianF

That page is absolotely worthless in regard to your system.

With a 566 celeron your using a 8.5 multiplier which it doesn't even show. 566 is 8.5 x 66 mhz front side bus = 566.

Also the vcore voltage for your current chip is 1.7 volts, again it's not even listed as an option.

Your new chip will need an 11 multipler with a 100mhz front side bus, along with a vcore voltage of 1.75 volts

6. ilusha2

Bvr01Fvr, thanks for the page! I didn't know about that one.
    Brian, what did you mean by "Also the vcore voltage for your current chip is 1.7 volts, again it's not even listed as an option.

Your new chip will need an 11 multipler with a 100mhz front side bus, along with a vcore voltage of 1.75 volts"? I don't understand, do I need to change anything or not. Bvro1... said that I don't but you didn't say whether I need to or not. I understand that I need an 11 multiplier, so do I need to change it or not?

7. brianF

brianF

None of the options listed are correct for the processor you purchased.

Lowest vcore setting was 2.0 volts I beleive, your new processor needs 1.75 volts.

No jumper setting for an 11 multiplier, hard to change it if it's not there.

I think you better contact compaq again and ask specifically how to configure your computer for the 1.1 mhz chip.

None of the settings on the above page will allow the chip to function properly. At 2 volts that's probably enough to blow the chip, can't take that much voltage unless it was water cooled.

Either they where mistaken in the speed of the chip your computer could take or you need a bios update.

8. rugrat

rugrat

Did a little research on Compaq's website (what a mess) . It seems that they have been using the bios to detect the chip since sometime in 99. The latest BIOS I could find for the board is
    here

http://web14.compaq.com/falco/sp_detail.asp?Model=1449&Div=4&Os=8&SoftwareVer=12449

Click on additional details at the bottom to see how to use it. This procedure could render your computer USELESS if not done correctly. If you do not feel confident with this procedure, I would suggest taking it to a qualified repair shop.

The new BIOS should detect and set up the 1.1 processor.

Good Luck

9. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

If all of Brianf's technical talk is blowing your mind, all he is saying is that he believes you may have purchased the wrong chip for the type of mother board you have! It's possible! In this case, the best thing to do is email COMPAQ Support and verify with them if your new chip is compatible with your current mother board! If it isn't, you will need to return the chip and trade it for the proper one!:)

10. ilusha2

To Rugrat: I have already updated the BIOS, but I will try this one anyway. Thanks.

Bvr: I sort of understood what he was saying, but got confused. Are you sure that's what he meant, that I may have gotten the wrong chip? When I contacted Compaq before buying the processor, and they told me that my motherboard will take up to a 1.1 ghz pIII. So I got a Celeron chip that's based on the PIII system, NOT on the p4, there are different ones. So, I thought that I had gotten the right one. Plus, I don't think that I can exchange it, I bought it from Newegg.com. Now, what about the jumpers. Are all of you saying that I don't need to change any jumpers?

11. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

All you need to do is verify that the new chip is compatible with the mother board. An easy way to do this is to check and see if the two chips are from the same chipset family! If they are, your new chip will work.

If you are using Windows XP, you can use "help & Support" to find this info. Type "My System Information" in the search box and select general. You can find out the specs there! If you are running a different Windows platform, you may need to type "MSINFO or MSINFO32 in the "Run" box to find out this information!

12. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

Hi ilusha2,

Inspect the CPU. The 566 probably has a one-notch corner. The 1.1Ghz probably has 2-notched corners. If this is the case, it "ain't gonna' work".

good luck.

spaceman

13. Bvr01Fvr

Bvr01Fvr

Your jumpers may need to be reset for proper bus speed and
    clock multiplier speed. Your processor's documentation will come in handy for this!

14. brianF

brianF

You had better get a confirmation from compaq

According to your system specs the highest jumper for multiplier is 5.5, YOU NEED 11

The lowest vcore voltage(processor voltage) is 2.1 volts YOU NEED 1.75

If you try to run that chip at 2.1 volts it's gonna melt down if it even boots.

Yes the front side bus needs to be changed to 100 mhz but that would not keep the chip from booting at a lower clock speed.

And I am assuming that you have pc100 memory or better being that you where running a 66mhz bus it just might be pc66 which is not going to work on a 100mhz front side bus processor.

the latest rompaq added support for cpuid 068H which is not the chip you purchased on compaq's advise, your chip uses id 068A and I see no where in the rompaq that it is mentioned. Also the rompaq is dated july 2001, not even sure if that chip was released by that date.

15. rugrat

rugrat

ilusha2

You really need to go with Brian's suggestion at this point. There is alot of unknowns for your system. The Compaq site is almost useless at this point. There are some help threads that say it does work and some that say it does not.
    As far as the bios, the Celeron 1.1 came out 8/31/01, about 30 days after the BIOS release. You need to find out from Compaq if the board ignores the jumpers due to BIOS settings. The Celeron is locked as far as speed so the BIOS settings may be all you need. No sense in burning up a chip to find out the hard way. Also Brian's point about memory, you will need to have PC100 compliant memory. My guess is you currently have the PC66. This alone could cause the system not to boot.

Good Luck

16. ilusha2

Guys, listen, I don't mean to be rude, but you guys are really confusing me. Please just tell me what to do. Don't keep saying stuff that's confusing, just tell me exactly what I should do, i.e. should I check something, should I do something, etc.? Not this and that. I thought that I had done everything correctly. You guys, please decide, is the processor good or not, everyone of you has different opinions. What exactly should I do?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/99458