Processor/Motherboard Capable?

Which motherboard is of your select choice?

• ASUS

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • FoxConn

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • MSI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above!

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Newbie07

I have decided to build a computer for my brother. He is far from wealthy, so I am building him an affordable system. This has brought me to the use of AMD Sempron. Here is the motherboard and processor.

Processor:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1531110&CatId=0
AMD Sempron 64 3400+ 2.0GHz 256KB Cache 1600MHz FSB Socket 754 Hyper-Transport 64-Bit (Palermo) Processor with Fan SDA3400BXBOX at TigerDirect.com
Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186010
Foxconn 755A01-6EKRS ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail at Newegg.com

Here is my question. The motherboard supports "AMD Athlon 64/Sempron" processors. The Sempron processor that I am going to use is a "Sempron 64bit Hyper-Transport" processor. Because the motherboard has the ability to support AMD Athlon 64, shouldn't it be able to support the "Sempron 64" as opposed to a normal "Sempron" ??

Thanks in advance. ;]

PC TECH250

Banned
This is one item that you are probably better off going to the manufacturer on. That
is mainly due to being able to get the detailed specifications on the board. The board's
manufacturer lists just what cpus are compatable with the board at:
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/tech_compatibilityOverview.cfm?pProject=
Plus, Newegg like other vendors have direct links to manufacturer's when you need the
more specific information. That link was found in less than two minutes! In fact, a fast
trip to AMD would give info on which model board of each brand selected is the actual
best recommended board for use with any of their various cpus. According to one look
in a minute or so, the model you were looking does seem to be supported. However, a
use of different numbers for each model was AMD's stock number not vendor number.

The board's manufacturer will have the details on the cpus that are supported for any
model board they make. When you order enough times online, you'll get used to that.

Here's my advice about the motherboard. I cringe when I hear that brand. You really think your brother is going to appreciate a crappy board (he might not know the differnce)? give him some credit and respect he's your bro, and get a real mobo. other than that your choices are OK. To really build a system that is fast and reliable I would go Micro ATX. The prices building those are awesome. You're limited to 2GB of RAM usually but you have a limmited budget and I don't think any more than 1 GB will ever be in the machine with the budget you are pertaining to. I'm not being rude by saying that. If you want to build a good system on a tight budget MATX is your ticket. I'm saying top-notch motherboards are around $50 for micros.

PC TECH250

Banned
MSI also had some good specs on their boards. People rave about Gigabyte and some
others like Abit or Chaintech generally. Expandability will be an option to consider even
if you don't the board maxed out at this time. If you are determined on one model cpu,
buy a board that can later see a few more faster models that come along. Leave room
for increasing memory as well. A year or two down the road, the board will still have an
ability to be upgraded to a certain degree. When your brother decides an upgrade is an
item needed, you will giving him that option. AND, it will be at a lower cost than going
out to buy an updated pc during that time span. That will save the bucks too!

Here's my advice about the motherboard. I cringe when I hear that brand. You really think your brother is going to appreciate a crappy board (he might not know the differnce)? give him some credit and respect he's your bro, and get a real mobo...
DOC, have you used that brand before? Have you done research? That brand comes well rated from some very reputable techs such as "Tom's Hardware Guide". I have also used them more than once with absolutely NO problems. They may be perhaps the most under-recognized mfgr out there, and seem to be very conscientious about their standards and features. Opinion is best appreciated with specific references to experiences, rather than outright trashing of manufacturers in general. (n)

PC TECH, nicely written responses.

Newbie07

I went to the manufacturer's site and did some research.

755A01-6EKRS (Motherboard I'm Purchasing)
Also known as K8S755A-FRSG
Also known as K8S755A-6EKRS

K8S755A-6ELRS/6EKRS
*Athlon 64
*2800+, 3200+, 3400+
*Sempron 32-Bit
*2600+, 2800+, 3000+, 3100+, 3300+
*Sempron 64-Bit
*2500+, 2600+, 2800+, 3000+, 3100+, 3300+, 3400+

It seems this motherboard IS capable of the Sempron 64 3400+ I plan on using for his computer. The idea for upgrading in the future is narrow because he doesn't use his computer much. Really, he plans on using it for music and web surfing. The motherboard supports Athlon 64 3400+, so if he decides to upgrade in the future, he does have a little room for choice. The processing power of an AMD 64 3400+ is more than he'll ever need, lol. ;] Thanks for the heads up everyone, and I'm not positive on the purchase of this motherboard yet. The purchase will be made sometime around Christmas, and whether the board is on sale then or even FOR sale, is beyond my head. We'll just wait and see!

Foxconn isn't a "crappy" manufacturer. The provide boards to big name computer companies.

Personally, I use ASUS and MSI boards, although I'd give a thumbs up to DFI or ABIT.

Don't go cheap on your motherboard, but there's no reason to break the bank either. Find what fits your needs.

I will warrant my trashing of manufacturers from now on. You are the second person to call me on that and I had to go back and explain. My bad, very sorry Blondie.

The problem with Foxconn & MSI in my personal opinion is they have poor support on the internet. MSI is rediculous. Try to get a hold of them and it's a joke. I know that from my own personal experience. I've investigated Foxconn too nice site, good pictures and layout but meaningful content is lacking.

I'm like everyone else when building a new machine. I want a deal on quality products. I also want those products to have good support if trouble arises. That was the basis of my trash talk on the manufacturer. Their site is hard to navigate and the support appears in my opinion sub-standard. There are no forums in plain view for a customer to ask questions just the plain e-mail tech support link and their handy filtered (only the good ones) reviews. ABIT on the other hand has great support. You can contact them very easily and they're forums are staffed and monitored by professionals. Asus & Gigabyte are awesome too they go without saying. If I was to pick between these three based upon support, pricing and features. I'de take Gigabyte. I've seen relatively moderate priced boards by them that I will own.

Those are my personal opinions. The quality appears OK from what you can read about Foxconn's products. Me personally, I wouldn't buy them based upon what I look for in a manufacturer of motherboards website and support. Give a few years they'll get better. I certainly hope MSI gets better.

I appolagize for not explaining the reason I trashed them. I would not hesitate to slam MSI but this person asked about another manufacturer.

PC TECH250

Banned
At this end, specifications on MSI were higher than many for a particular model mobo.
That by no means indicates that DFI the first looked at is inferior! What is best to try
a serious look at is the AMD recommended boards were AMD did the testing on various
brands and model boards. After buying the Asus board here along with an XP2600+ cpu
and later looking at the current 3200+, a quick trip to AMD revealed that this was best
in ASUS line for the 3200+! This is why the recommendation was made. Choose a brand
that offers what you are looking for first. Then follow the AMD recommendations to see
how close you came. Adding one thing here is the lack of response from Asus lately!

On a new board, A8V with an AMD Atholon 3200+ 64 bit cpu, the buyer never read the
manual far enough to realize a plug for the cpu had to be used or the system would not
even boot up. Asus was emailed a support request over two months ago! Someone on
either this or another forum pasted the instructions from the manual explaining this. So
don't simply go by one or two brands alone. Even good brands have been slipping!

dustyjay

Jay
There have been Mixed threads here on the Gigabyte boards lately. In personal experience with Gigabyte boardsm I have hed very good results. I have yet to build on a 64 bit board though so I will hold any comments about them until I do. Asus does have a good reputation and thier tech support is great. I have had good results with Gigabyte Tech support as well.

actually what i'm not too fond of about your mobo choice is the sis chipset, however, right now my sons game pc a gigabyte socket A with a sis seems to run alright, so far, about a year. Not for nothing but if all your bro does is surfing and doesnt need a game intensive system, you could build a socket A system, i dont really see a huge difference between a Socket A and the 754 systems, at least not for just general pc use.

Newbie07

brite750 said:
Not for nothing but if all your bro does is surfing and doesnt need a game intensive system, you could build a socket A system, i dont really see a huge difference between a Socket A and the 754 systems, at least not for just general pc use.
I thought Socket 754 IS Socket A. ;/

PC TECH250

Banned
One of the best ways to resolve this is to go to AMD and browse the various models
"they" have had good results with and recommend. Take notes on various brands and
models followed by reviewing the features offered on each as well as price comparison.
Since a high end board is not being sought, finding a reasonably priced board is quick!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online