Processor Not Running At Correct Speed Please Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

banisters_mind

I have a 3.2Ghz AMD processor that only seems to be running at 2Ghz presently. My mobo is a GA-K8NSC-939, I have 1.5Gb of DDR 400 RAM on board and I am running XP SP2. I have tried a couple of things in BIOS - (ie loaded optimal performace settings) but these have made no difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Look at the cpu speed when it is under load. You likely have a power saving option on, which lowers the cpu speed when not needed.

banisters_mind

Would I be able to alter the power saving option in control panel or would I need to go into BIOS to make an adjustment?

banisters_mind said:
Would I be able to alter the power saving option in control panel or would I need to go into BIOS to make an adjustment?
I'm not sure bout that,but what I do know is that CPUs will run at a lower clock speed when idling and will run at normal speed when under usage.How do you find out your CPU is running at 2 Ghz in the first place?Use that same method to find out whether your CPU is running at that speed all the time.And what model do you have?Last I read only the Opteron and one 64x2 model have a default clock speed of above 3 Ghz....:confused:

crjdriver

You may have cool & quiet enabled in the bios. You can either disable it OR run an app that will stress the cpu. For dual cores, I use prime2004 Check the cpu speed when running p2004.

Next it would help if you posted exact system specs ie make and model of mb, what cpu is installed, etc.

I hope you are not referring to a 3200+ that is running @2.0 gig since the only amd64 that runs @ 3.2 is the 6400+

banisters_mind

My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor. When I bring up my hardware configuration (right click on My Computer) it shows an AMD Athlon processor 3200+ then underneath that it show 2.01Ghz then 1.5Gb RAM.

If you are telling me that my processor will not run at 3.2Ghz, then are you saying that I got ripped off?

BTW I installed a 1024Mb stick of DDR400 RAM just yesterday (adding to the 512Mb I already have). Will this affect the processor speed in any way? I have this sneaking suspicion that I never saw the 2.01Ghz in the hardware configuration before now so I am wondering if adding more RAM would have done something...?

banisters_mind said:
My processor is an AMD Athlon 64 FX/64 Processor. When I bring up my hardware configuration (right click on My Computer) it shows an AMD Athlon processor 3200+ then underneath that it show 2.01Ghz then 1.5Gb RAM.
I was wondering about that until I checked your mobo
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products...board&ProductID=1881&ProductName=GA-K8NSC-939

There is no fx64 (an fx60 and fx62), it says "Socket 939 for AMD Athlon64/ 64 FX " Which means it will accept an athlon 64 or a 64fx. You have the Athlon 64 3200+ which DOES run at 2Ghz.

banisters_mind

S.O.A.B.!!!!!! Then I got totally ripped off. I was told that I was buying a 3.2Ghz processor. Will my mobo take a 3.2Ghz processor?

Don't get so hung up about processor speed.
It look like the fastest they offer is 2.8GHz.
Bump your memory to the max, get a good video card and you'll be just fine for most computing tasks.

banisters_mind

Oh for sure, I have a half decent vid card, and RAM is cheap right now so I'll follow your advice. Possibly look at a higher CPU in the future...

...I guess that leads me to ask the inevitable next question, would there be any benefit in overclocking my CPU? If so, how would I do this without ruining my system?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online