processor not running at peak performace

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

timothye

HI , i have a intel duo that has a new hard drive and a new install of xp pro . all updated ( sp3 ) and all drivers updated .
scanned for virusues . spyware etc . and the computer is so slow it take s 10 minutes before you can open IE to browse the web .

i checked and the cpu it a T5500 Intel DUO with 1 GB memory , and the processor is running at 982Mhz .
I remember when i worked on another compaq / HP pc , it was the energy scheme that that was holding it back , well now its set to ALL time on = max preformance and still no change , i have already tried other energy schemes as well .
any ideas here to why this would be running so slow as it is , takeing ages to accomplish anything on this pc ?
Cheers in advance ,
T

Compaq NX 7400 intel DUO T 5500 , 1GB .

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go into Power Options in the Control Panel, set the power scheme to "Always On", set the other settings to "Never", turn off hibernation, set the power button to turn off the computer, set all other functions to do nothing.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing that your computer has too many unnecessary programs loading during startup and running in the background.

----------------------------------------------------------------

timothye

Go into Power Options in the Control Panel, set the power scheme to "Always On", set the other settings to "Never", turn off hibernation, set the power button to turn off the computer, set all other functions to do nothing.

I'm guessing that your computer has too many unnecessary programs loading during startup and running in the background.

done that .
and no to the programs ,
Im talking about this machine not performing .
the processor fan is working , so its not overheating ..
thanks for the response

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I still think your computer has too many unnecessary running programs in:

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - Startup(tab)

Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK

Most computer users are guilty of that.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Get rid of everything inside these TEMP folders:

C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\(USERNAME)\LOCAL SETTINGS\TEMP

timothye

ok there wasnt much in those folders , which i suspected . but its still slower than H*ll .. and theservices are fine and the start up programs is 0 ,

im really stumped on this 1 . havent seen a machine like this before . maybe the memory has gone bad . its a new install of XP as well as a new hard drive .
CHeers T

timothye

also i thought i might add one more time . the processor is a T5500 1.66 Duo intel and its running @ 982 Mhz , that does not sound correct to me , that is why i sstated in the first post about the energy levels should be cranked up to always on , but that didnt work on this machine . and in the BIOS there really isnt any topions for the processor , its the most minimal BIOS i ahve seen , you really dont ahve control over any thing . also i ahve flashed the bios as well and still nothing has helped , this is dieing i think . but i hope i am wrong
again thx for the help

i didnt spell check this 1 , time for food , back laters
T

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Go into the Device Manager and check the properties advanced section for the Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel and make sure they're set to "DMA If Available" and not to "PIO".

This is the software and support site for the Compaq Presario NX7400 laptop:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1847094

Hopefully, it'll be of assistance to you.

You might check same settings in the BIOS.

Also, check the FSB settings for the RAM and CPU. AMD has always downclocked everything if one is underclocked, and I am not sure if the same holds true for Core 2, because I haven't seen that problem yet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online