Processor OR Graphics Card??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sriram301296

My system is a little (or may be very much!! )old - 6 years with an integrated intel graphics (no dedicated momory)and 1.6 GHz Intel processor
i have gradually updated almost everything in my pc - 3 GB RAM, 1 TB hard disk and all
but for games to run well which is the immedately required upgrade - graphics or processor?? I know both are required but for this month's quota which is recommended to be upgraded?? I plan to get a 1 GB graphics(Nvidia) and 3 GHz processor(AMD or Intel)
P.S. could not include system specs because the SysInfo tool wont display my system information

How many cores does your current processor have? Note that if you read this article, it tells you that:
Cores should be your first priority, then: you'll want a quad-core CPU at a minimum. After that, opt for the highest clock speed you can afford, or need, but don't worry about that quite as much. You can often ramp that up later with a little judicious overclocking.
In any case, I would recommend that you buy a dedicated graphics card first and not use the integrated intel graphics if you want to see a large improvement in your gaming experience. You should then try to get at least a 4-core CPU.

Triple6

Rob
Intel integrated graphics in older systems is completely useless for gaming. Upgrading to a real graphics card is an absolute necessity.

But a 1.6Ghz processor is your other problem, which exact one is it and how many cores does it have?

Please also be aware that just getting a "1 GB graphics(NVidia)" means nothing, there are extremely basic graphics card with 1GB of RAM that aren't meant for gaming.

You also need to make sure your power supply can handle the new video card. Please open up the case, check, and post the exact model of the powersupply you have.

And you can't switch from an Intel CPU to an AMD processor without getting a new motherboard and new RAM.

Please try using Speccy to list your computer specs: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Also post what games you wish to play and at what setting levels.

You might be needing a new computer rather than a few small upgrades.

sriram301296

@ techn3rd -it is a dual core pc.. and thanks for the reply
@ Triple6 - ok i will take the help of a tech guy to choose the GPU and I will open the case and come reply within a day or two..
Regarding CPU, I mean both mother board and Processor
Also Speecy gives me errors so does SysInfo as well as System Information of Windows 8
Sorry but I as of now cannot afford a new system..

Tanis

Shane
Based on the information so far I think I can safely say that your current PSU (powersupply) will have to be replaced BEFORE you even consider a GPU upgrade. With the age of the machine and the fact it only has integrated graphics this is pretty much guaranteed. You might find a low power useage graphics card that might work on the current PSU but it will be almost useless for gaming unfortunately.

The article linked above is useful, generic information but doesn't necessarily apply as much when you are upgrading specifically for gaming. Number of cores is good but it is not as much of a priority for gaming because there aren't actually that many games out there that have been coded correctly to utilise more than 2 or maybe 4 cores (although the number is steadily increasing). GPU capability is often far more important along with the amount of RAM installed.

What sort of games are you talking about, in all honesty a new system may be your most cost effective solution as you will likely have to replace almost everything anyway.

Did you buy and install Windows 8 yourself? I would assume so as I wouldn't think an older system of those specs would come with Windows 8.
Do you have all the correct, Windows 8 drivers installed? If not, that could be why some things aren't working.

sriram301296

ok will look on that PSU issue.. and btw are there any other ways to find out what power supply i have without opening the case? I will take up opening the case as the last option.. and the games i am talking abt are usual high performance games like crisis etc which probably wont even open up in my current pc..
and Yes, I did install Windows 8 myself.. This is 6 ys old and even vista would not have been released that time
and, i just CANT buy a new pc because I am half way down on upgrading - only Processor, mother board and GPU remain..

Triple6

Rob
No, you have to open it up.

I know you say you are half way down on upgrading it but that's not true, a lot has changed in 6 years and the stuff you've put into it are not necessarily compatible with modern hardware.

For you current upgrade you need a new motherboard, processor, power supply(most likely), memory, and graphics card. You may not even be able to re-use the hard drive or the CD\DVD drive if they are older Parallel ATA or IDE drives. The hard drive is likely SATA if it's 1TB but you should double check, the optical drive could be either and the latest motherboards do not have PATA/IDE anymore.

So then the only things you can re-use are the computer case and the hard drive if it's SATA.

sriram301296

No you still dont get me.. The RAM and Hard disk are only 2 or 3 months old... And yes, the hard disk is SATA

crjdriver

No you still dont get me.. The RAM and Hard disk are only 2 or 3 months old... And yes, the hard disk is SATA
Ram that works on a 6yr old system is most likely not going to work on a modern mb. You still need a new mb [most likley] new ram, a new pw supply, etc.

Triple6

Rob
This is why you need to post the exact specs of your system, a 6 year old motherboard may use DDR2 or DDR3 while a brand new motherboard will use DDR3 so it may or may not be compatible. Plus 3GB of RAM is little by today's standards; a modern system generally comes with at least 4GB of RAM if not 8GB for optimal performance.

If you cannot run the TSG System Information Utility, Speccy, and the Windows system information utility all give you errors then you have something wrong with your Windows installation. There's also the tried and tested way of getting hardware info, open up the computer and read the model numbers off the hardware.

sriram301296

ok, after a bit research i came up with the following combo
1.Corsair DDR3 4 GB(1 x 4GB) PC RAM (CMV4GX3M1A1600C11)
2.MSI FM2-A55M-E33 Motherboard
3.AMD A4-4000 Processor
4.Gainward NVIDIA 2GB DDR3 GT610 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card
(all on Flipkart)

So, what is your suggestion ? Can I give it a go?

Triple6

Rob
What power supply do you have?

While that hardware will work, it's quite entry level.
For example the E2140 has a Passmark score of 876, the A4-4000 has a Passmark score of around 1700. Compare that to the top end AMD FX-9590 with a score of 10,434 and the top end Intel i7-3970x with a score of 14,151. You could even put a 7 year E6700 into your motherboard and get a higher score. To me if you are gonna spend a lot of money on a upgrade it should be worthwhile.

The Geforce GT610 is also an entry level home PC card, not sure if you were intending to play games with it but GT series cards are generally used for basic graphics and HPC systems and GTX cards are intended for gaming.

sriram301296

Finally opened up the case.. Its a 450 W Zebronics power supply. .I am doubtful of whether it will be enough since the GPU itself requires 300W
@ Triple6 Thats all the max specs i could get in my budget.. Also the users who bought say it is good for gaming, refer to my previous comment
Also , my computer has an PCI-E slot, so what if I buy the Graphics Card first then see what else my PC needs??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online