1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor overheating!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sdh31873, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sdh31873

sdh31873 Thread Starter

I have recently built my own computer from scratch. I am no expert and I am wondering what I am doing wrong. I have an Intel Motherboard with a Pentium 4, 1.8ghz processor. I have a WD 40 gig hard drive and I have 4 - 80mm case fans. I have a heatsink fan that came with the processor and I believe I have it on right. When I start using my computer and I really get to work, it flashes a warning from some software on my motherboard that my processor is overheating. It never gets too hot in the case but just the processor overheats. I am wondering how to solve this. I have as many fans as one can have. I keep it as cool as I can in the room but nothing seems to help. What is a maximum temperature for a Pentium 4 processor and what is the damage that overheating can cause? Why is it overheating? What can I do to cool the processor off besides the heatsink fan? Please help. Thanks.

2. Trboy13

Trboy13

When i got my fan for my cpu, it came with a pasty stuff, that you put on the chip. It is supposed to help transfer the heat better between the chip and heatsink.

The intel website should have the max temps somewhere.
    or here is a link to somthing that might help

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/cputemp.htm

3. TimD

TimD

i think your heatsink is not making enough contact to your processor.

try reinstalling that, preferably using a thermal paste or pad (if you're not already)

if you had an amd and it was overheating you'd have probably already lost your processor, but intels are good about shutting down before it kills itself.

4. deuce

deuce

For a P4 they should be good to over 90C, if not more. They are so stable they can get real hot and be fine... and even over heat and sometimes be ok. Overheating will first degrade performance (while it is overheating, cpu operates fine at normal temps) and slow things down... then eventually it will fry it. Anything over 70C will really slow things down, but won't harm the cpu. Normal operating temps should be 40-45C, peak at 50 to 60C. It depends on your cooling solution and how much stress you put on it. Water cooling can get those to stay around 30, bnut that is a expensive solution. You don't actually need all of those fans. Intels run fairly cool so that don't need a lot of cooling. Usually just a cpu fan... and then one case fan if you want it is enough... as long as you aren't overclocking. I have a 1.5 P4 and only have a cpu fan and mine idles at 37C and peaks at 50 to 55C. As long as your cpu fan is running, it sounds like your thermal grease isn't making fluid contact with the core. My question is... did your cpu have thermal grease on it already... or did you put some on your self? If make sure you put some on if it needed it and if it is on, if you have some you might want to try wiping what is on off and puting fresh stuff on and make sure you put on only enough to make fluid contact with the core and thermal interface on the heatsink, or else it won't conduct heat well. It only has to fill in the crack to provide a smooth surface. If you want a good thermal solution... those aluminum and silver compounds are quite nice. I think they are both generally around $10-15.

5. sdh31873

sdh31873 Thread Starter

I asked about the thermal compound and Intel said that the processor that I bought came with it already on it and I shouldn't add anymore but I am not sure that it came with anything. I didn't feel and compound or grease on the Heatsink fan when I installed it. It has some gray square on the bottom in the middle but I don't know what that is. It isn't greasy or sticky. It is just metal or aluminum or something like that. thanks for the feedback.

6. deuce

deuce

Yeah Intel usually ships with some on it. If you are unsure, take the heatsink off and check. The grease Intel cihps ship with should be blue. The white thing on the heatsink is the thermal pad. If you don't have a blue surface on your cpu, (it is a metallic surface) then there is no grease on it and you need some. In that case... DON'T turn on your computer until you have some good stuff on. If there is nothing on it... I recomend that you get the aluminum or silver compound... the cheap silicon stuff is just as it sounds... cheap. (in other words... it don't work :rolleyes: )

7. Chris A

Chris A

8. deuce

deuce

Sure you got that link right? Seems a bit dead on my end. Thanks for posting it though... tomorrow I was going to buy some of the silver compound, but I think I better wait and take a look at this stuff.

9. Chris A

Chris A

10. deuce

deuce

Thanks... thats the stuff I was planning on getting. :)

11. deuce

deuce

Thanks again for the link... all ordered now. :) (and saved a few bucks over the other place I was planning to buy it from :D)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66792

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice