1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by john_waldrum, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john_waldrum

john_waldrum Thread Starter

I noticed that my computer began to run slower that normal today, as I was attempting to burn a CD using Roxio easy cd creater 5.0 platnium. Anyways I turned on Norton utilities 2002 system doctor and observed that my processor was peaked out at 100%. I closed all open tasks and system doctor began to show it going back an forth from 15% to 100% and back down again. I also noticed that my cursor was showing the sign as if the computer was busy doing something. Ran a full system scan for viruses last night and it found none. Using Norton Anti-virus 2002 updated. Is my processor going out. Usaually shows 0% on system doctor when nothing is being done. I also thought it might be heat related, so I removed the side case and the fan is running, but it continued to fluctuate.

2. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1

Did you notice a slow down at boot?

3. deuce

deuce

Your cpu should max out at 100% when you are doing something... sometimes even with real small tasks it will... but other than that it usually will still be over 0%... but somewhere around 10% or so. I have a 1.5 Ghz and it never is at 0%. When I do something it jumps to 100% right away and then immediately drops back to about 10% and stays there until I tell it to do something else. However if you are getting 100% usuage when doing absolutely nothing or it flucuates when doing nothing then there might be a problem... but I don't know... maybe someone else does... As to why you are getting slow performance... check you ram and make sure it is all acounted for.

4. slipe

slipe

Are you saying that the computer just slows down while you are burning? You use a lot of CPU cycles to burn, but not usually 100%. Are you engaging Burn-Proof?

If you have Win9x/ME you can download WinTop to see what is going on when the hourglass shows – that is indeed a sign of CPU activity. http://www.dewassoc.com/support/useful/wintop.htm

There are freeware programs that give a lot more information but WinTop will tell you what is going on with small overhead and a program of less than 30k. You will find that WinTop will show something activating and taking a good bit of CPU cycles at the same time the hourglass activates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice