1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Processor problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qwertyui137, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qwertyui137

qwertyui137 Thread Starter

OK so heres my problem I have a few questions regarding processors and how to change them.

#1 would it be worth it to change my intel pentium 2.2 ghz dual processor for a 2.9ghz intel celeron processor?

#2 would it even be possible on my motherboard? (i have the acer M1640 motherbord)

#3 If it is possible how would it be done?

2. seoraj

seoraj

Dear,
    It depend on your motherboard. It may me support 2.9ghz intel celeron processor or may be not.

3. qwertyui137

qwertyui137 Thread Starter

how would i know if it does?

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

The only Celeron models running at 2,9 Ghz are the Celeron D 340 and 341. These are really low end processors and swapping a Pentium chip for one of those (if it's possible ofc) is more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

In other words, don't bother. Keep your current CPU, it's faster than any Celeron (I guess it's a Pentium Dual Core since none of the Pentium Ds had a clock speed of 2.2 Ghz). Clock speed doesn't matter when comparing processors of different generations. Your processor has a lower clock speed but it's more efficient and it has two cores, that alone will boost performance on most computing scenarios.

If you want to find the exact specs of your processor and motherboard, download CPU-Z:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/922974